Chapter 20

When we walked out of that kitchen we walked out with a plan.

I was to spend the next few days studying the material Arwen gave me on Lady Lillian in order for my story to be watertight. Even Eli looked a bit lighter after his gloomy morning.

We went and took our spot back on the green sofa. I leaned my head onto Eli's shoulder

"Thankyou,"

I didn't say what for but he knew. Because in a sense the morning was the start of letting eachother go, even if neither of us felt ready to give up whatever we had going on.

I'd decided it was best that maybe I danced a little further away from the edge. Even if a part of me was yelling at myself just to dive in. After all, no wings meant I was the only one who could fall and truly get hurt.

We could be friends.

I quickly checked myself and lifted up my head sinking even further back into the sofa. The pounding behind my eyes had ceased but that still hadn't stopped me from drawing the curtains.

It was almost pitch black in the room. I leant my head back and let myself get lost in it. Tiny flashes of white caught my focus. I sat up. Little stars, decorated the darkness like jewels in a crown of night. I smiled up at them.

"Are you messing with my head" I turned to look at Eli who was staring at me. His violet eyes illuminated against the darkness.

I turned my head again at his silence and reached out into the artificial night. A star seemed to balance on the end of my finger.

Small and delicate but strong and wise.

I brought it closer to myself and studied it. Eli was right. It did sort of look like the centre of my eyes.

"It's beautiful." I said in awe.

"When I was younger sometimes I would sneak out of the castle on a clear night to go and study the stars, I would go to the top of the biggest hill my little legs could climb in hopes I would be able to reach them,"

Now as I looked at the light on the tip of my finger I laughed at the sheer ridiculousness of it. I laughed at how my younger self would be so proud.

"Of course I never did but I would try and try. Even as I grew I still made the trip on nights the clouds would recede and the stars shone uninterrupted but It turned more into star gazing than catching... but I haven't been for a couple of years"

"What made you stop?" I jumped at his voice, too submerged into my memories.

The light in my heart brought about by the memory faded a little when reality set in. I knew why I stopped. Why the spot on the hill that was once full of memories and love turned into something of pain and regret.

"Oh just this and that, life got in the way I guess."

I felt Eli nod. I knew he saw through my weak attempts to hide my sadness but he didn't push further and I was grateful. I tried to think of something else. Anything else.

The darkness that not only a few seconds ago had wrapped around me like a warm hug was now suffocating.

I reached for my power. Light. I needed light. Eli sensed my panic and the night faded and he grabbed hold of one of my hands

"Star?"

I couldn't tell him the truth. I couldn't explain.

"My powers. My powers still haven't come back"
Half truths would do for now.

He seemed to take it with open arms. No questioning  to my panic was in his gaze.

"How long?"

"Since the Naga took me, I've been testing them, I can feel it inside me. It's still there but every time I call for them I'm left unanswered."

He was silent for a moment while he took in what I said.

"I thought it was a poison but surely that would've worn off by now."

Eli nodded. "We need to see Amren. She will know what to do."

I let out a breath. Felt the knot of tension in my stomach ease.

I prayed to the mother that Eli was right.