Chapter 52

Elias pov

My body was no longer covered in red but silver. Her hair fanned over my chest and it truly felt like my heart started beating again.
"Star..."

Her eyes flew open and I saw the moment relief filled them. Her head dipped and she let out a breath before looking at me again.

"Eli, I-"

She stuttered and I knew why. I could see it plain on her face she had been put in a tough situation. Her family had nearly killed me and she expected me to be mad. I almost laughed.

"Star. It's okay. All of it, it's fine." My hand found her face, "Cassian alone has nearly killed me a dozen times in the last year,"

A slight smile played out on her lips and i felt myself wanting to draw it out more. I flopped back, slipping a hand behind my head and leaning on it, only slightly flexing my biceps.

"Besides, it's nothing I couldn't take. It was a given that your dad was probably going to fight me at some point so at least we got it out the way now?"

She laughed and it was music to my ears.

"Well I knew bringing home such a scoundrel had its risks."

I leaned in to kiss her, "I hope they are well worth it..."

I could feel her smiling against my lips "oh, certainly."

Someone cleared their throat in the hallway and I silently cursed the Gods before turning.

I felt more than saw Evie's shoulders relax.

"Maggie."

A big warm smile shone her way, when Maggie turned to me it dimmed.

"I came to let you know the queens return won't be long. I shall leave you to prepare, but don't keep her waiting Evalin. She's missed you for long enough."

With that, Maggie disappeared from sight.

Star turned to me and her face was full of emotions, so many it was hard to decipher even one.

With a flick of her hand a gust of wind pushed the door to a close.

"Your powers?"

She faced me, "back- all of them."

I frowned, "you don't sound excited?"

"I am, it just wasn't my primary focus at the time..."

I frowned again,
"Tell me what happened Evie."

"Tell me why it matters? We are both fine."

I didn't like her answer at all.

"Please Star, let me see."

"Elias, please just let me keep this to myself. This whole situation hasn't gone well. My family nearly killed you as a welcoming gift. You don't need to worry about me, you need to focus on you getting better."