Chapter 32

I placed the book down on the end of the table and Az looked up from his meal. Eli had flown me up to the house of wind and now I was getting down to business.

"I need to know everything you know on Ashweed."

"Good morning to you too,"

I planted two hands down on the table and sent him a knowing look.

"Cmon let's skip the pleasantries. We both know that it's a waste of time.

He chuckled, still staring down at his plate.
"You've got me there... So you are starting up where I left off? Bold to assume you can solve it,"

"Bold of you to assume I can't."

The same chuckle was my only response. I raised my eyebrows expectantly.

He sighed slightly and rolled his shoulders "I'm guessing you know most of it, what it does and so on. The last place I tracked it to was Montesere which isn't even on this continent. And that was 150 years ago. There have been no signs of it since, apart from the obvious."

"Was this to do with you?"

I slid the book, open, towards him and he caught it. He stared down at the torn edges were pages were meant to be.

"I for one don't make a habit of damaging books so I have to say no. But this is, strange.

I felt my shoulders slump and I sunk into the closest chair. "This makes no sense, you made sense. If this wasn't you then who? No one else has a motive."

We sat in silence for a moment before a blur of red and blonde burst through the doors.
"Evie I've been looking everywhere for you! Why are you so hard to find, Starfall is tomorrow!" She looked at Azriel expecting some sort of sympathy "Tomorrow! I've been trying to find you for AGES. Your dress fitting was an HOUR ago. Come!" When I only moved an inch she let out an exasperated sigh.

I smiled at her and stood and brushed myself off. "Okay, I'm ready!"

She grabbed my hand and I shot a quick look to Az. "I will look into it," he murmured.

I nodded gratefully as Mor winnowed us into her favourite boutique.

Mimi jumped up from her spot resting on the counter top,
"Miss Mor!" She exclaimed.

"Miss Evalin! You are late!"

I smiled sheepishly and shot her an apologetic look.
Mor took the lead.

"A thousand apologises Mimi!" She swept over and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"I will pay you extra for your trouble!"

Mimi's cold look softened and she sighed sweetly "No miss Mor, I make exceptions for my best customer. Now come, you sit," She addressed Mor and then she pointed at me. "You, with me." She pulled me behind a red velvet curtain and pulled it closed behind me. I stripped off my clothes and stepped into a gown that Mimi had laid down for me.

Mimi started to tighten the corset at the back of the dress and I felt my ribs become more and more crushed.

"This better be worth it," I wheezed and she pulled even harder.

Mimi pulled one last time then secured the ribbon into a bow.

She spun me around so I was looking at her and she smiled.

"Oh darling, it's more than worth it!"

She nudged me out of the curtains and towards Mor, who looked up for only a second before a massive grin broke free on her face.