Chapter 18

The adrenaline still had us in its clutches. We were giddy on life, the ones we had almost lost and what we planned to make with it in the future. Drunken ramblings turned into royal decrees as we both hung off each other in a bid to stay on two feet. Stumbling aimlessly was a great way to work off the energy we didn't even knew we had. The moon had reached its peak in the night sky as we stood staring out into the Sidra. The sky above reflected onto the calm river, making it come truly come alive with each ripple of the water. Our incomprehensible babbling had ceased; taking its place was a mutual admiration of the scene taking place right in-front of our eyes. The stars dancing across water wasn't something i would usually of stopped to take in. I was always so busy, running around, but something about being here with him made me want to admire it. To stay outside a little bit longer, even if it meant breaking habits and slowing down my pace.

"I don't want you to go home,"

It took me a while to register his words. Not because of their meaning or weight, just because I'd melted into the silence and it took me a while to free myself of it. But when I did come around I struggled to think of a response.

"A part of me doesn't want that either,"

When the words left my lips they had sealed the truth behind them. I meant it. And even if I wasn't prepared to admit to myself or anyone else how big that part of me was, admitting it at all was something I shouldn't of done. It was only going to make things harder. When I emerged from my thoughts I found his eyes solely on me. They burned through me and I couldn't take it.

"I will miss my new friend,"

His stare faltered at my words. Looking down at his shoes and back up again. A forced laugh sounded from him.

"yes... Me too,"

It's like my one word had sobered us both. The buzz of alcohol leaving our systems in seconds. I felt myself regretting it instantly.

"Shall we get back then? it's getting cold."

I nodded as I felt his arm slip from its resting place and fall back to his side. The cold breeze wasn't the only reason why I could feel my skin stinging. His gesture felt like a rejection. One that I couldn't be mad at because I'd done it first. I gritted a smile and started to walk back to the townhouse Eli at my side wishing I could take back everything that transpired in the last 2 minutes.

The coldness didn't stop once we got inside, a brief goodnight was all I got before Eli walked quickly to his room. As he was on the threshold I spoke

"Eli I- uh, Thankyou for tonight... I had a lot of fun,"
It came out too forced, too quick for it to sound like I hadn't been rehearsing it in the silence the whole way home.

He gave me a smile that didn't meet his eyes "yeah, me too,"

The door to his room closed as I walked into my own. I flopped down onto the bed for the second time today. I needed to choose one. Push him away or pull him in. Hurt now or later. I toyed between my options as I always did when I made a decision. I was always so good at coming out of my plans unscathed. I didn't see this happening for me now. The more I thought upon the subject the more it frustrated me. I wanted both. I wanted to keep dancing on the edge and not fall in. To have this fun while I could but be able to pull myself out of a fantasy when needed. Even if it meant I had to tie rope around my waist to help me succumb to the harsh reality when the time came. The harsh realitythat the butterflies in my stomach when he was near me would have to be stomped out sooner or later. I knew what I should do and what I wanted to do. The difference between the two was how selfish I was willing to be to get it.

———————————————————————————
Hey guy!! First of all omg 3k views?!?!? Second of all, over 100 votes?!?!? I love you ALL!!! Sorry this chapter is a little shorter than usual I promise to make the next one a lil longer!! I'm really trying to improve my writing so if anyone has any suggestions I'm totally open to it, I love writing and I want it to be as enjoyable for you guys to read it, so pls comment or dm me if you do have any!! Again I love you all and Thankyou for reading!! Hope you enjoy💗💗

Side note- I'm actually dying waiting for ACOSF. Im in a love hate relationship with the teasers. Like I love them when I read them and I want more but I hate the way it makes the 16th of feb feel ages away!!! Was hoping maybe some of yous could relate lol