Chapter 15

Birds chirping had me rising from my bed. I had not slept well at all. My limbs felt creaky as I walked around my room.

Well, as I paced round my room.

What had happened last night. One moment my heart was beating out of my chest and then nothing? Was I overthinking. Besides, we were just friends. Nothing more.

It was decided, I was definitely overthinking.

I tried to take my mind of the subject. I went searching in my closet that was now bursting with clothes. Right at the back I found it. My new fighting gear. I squealed. It was head to toe black. Padded where it needed to be with this flexible material that I couldn't quite figure out. I had a job wriggling into it. The suit fit my body like a second skin. I turned to the mirror and smiled, I looked badass. The black material reflected the light in places, it was kind of shiny, like scales. I could give Abraxos a run for his money, the thought had me giggling.

Now fully ready I continued to pace my room. I was waiting for a knock on my door. It was well past noon when it came but it wasn't Eli at the door.

"Hey, oh. Sorry. It just wasn't expecting," I cut off my own rambling with an apologetic smile, "it's Azriel right?"

The shadows around him seemed to turn to face me.

"It is, I don't mean to disappoint. Eli is busy and asked me if I would take you to training,"

I nodded, I didn't know whether to feel grateful or disappointed.

"Shall we be going then?" I asked

He smiled and motioned his head for me to follow him.

We walked in silence I didn't mind, I understood that sometime the silence spoke louder than words. Azriel was a person you didn't get to know by his words but his body language.

The silence surrounded us for a while until I really started to focus on a buzzing noise, I at first had dismissed. I could hear something, like whispering, incoherent whispering. I looked at Azriel, he still wasn't saying a thing.

I couldn't stop myself "Your shadows they speak to you,"

He turned and smiled at me, "you hear them?"

"I do, I hear them, not clearly but they are there mumbling in my ear,"

He chuckled "your the only other one you know,"

I weighed the connotation behind his words "What does that mean?" I asked him.

"it could mean their may be more to your powers than you know."

I didn't have time to respond before his shadows surrounded us completely blocking out the light.

I couldn't see, I was vulnerable, but I didn't feel afraid. The shadows whispered to me. Soothing me, calming any nerves before they could turn into panic.

There were cracks of light in the darkness and soon enough I could see the shadows retracting back from me and returning to Az. I looked up at him and he smiled.

"They like you,"

that was all he said before he walked away. I followed his direction with my eyes. Looking around I realised we weren't in the townhouse anymore. We were in a lavish garden. Neatly trimmed hedges lined a path leading up to a clearing taken up by two big fighting rings. And occupying the one directly in front of me was Eli.

Busy my ass.

Even though it was cold outside, his shirt was discarded on the ground near the ring. As he fought he was a blur of tanned muscles lined with a sheen of sweat. Even though a man without a shirt wasn't a new sight to me, my mouth still went a little dry.

I watched him from a distance as he sparred. He moved so quickly with so much precision, I would've been impressed if I hadn't seen it all before. He fought with power, trying to defeat his opponent, with moves from the book. Don't get me wrong, it's a good rutting book but it always lacked something more. All it would take was one warrior to come along who knew better. A warrior who knew the book themselves, and made the book their bitch. I couldn't help it if that warrior was about to be me...

As I walked closer all the recognition he gave of my existence was barley a glance.
It irritated me to no end.
Fuel to my fire

The duel came to an end and Eli walked over to the table and poured himself a drink. I followed him, keeping my steps quiet.

"Want to settle our argument?" I asked him.

He finally turned to me, his eyes dragging up and down my body and then resting on my face.

"I'm not fighting you, I wasn't being serious," he saw the look that now was resting upon my face.

"Come on we were joking,"

I let out a dry laugh "you may of been joking but I certainly wasn't. Didn't you know? I always keep my promises." With a wink I had turned to the weapons table and was browsing the selection.

"Eva, stop"

"No weapons then, that's okay i much prefer hand to hand combat,"

I started walking towards to the ring when a hand around my wrist stopped me. I turned around to be face to face with Eli

His voice was lowered "Eva, I'm not fighting you" his tone was final and his eyes shone like they had last night but this time the thing that danced behind them seemed to be different.

His refusal to fight me infuriated me. Did he really think I was his inferior? To weak to go against him?

An idea sparked. With a defiant smile I glanced up at Eli before spinning on my heels and marching towards where Azriel and Cassian were standing.

I folded my arms and and the corners of my lips tugged up into a grin that promised trouble.

"Which one of you boys is going to show me how a real Illyrian fights?"

Cassian and Azriel looked each other and then turned their attention back to me.

Az spoke first "I could never take away a chance to flash ones ego from my brother,"

I looked over at Cassian and the grin on his face gave me my answer.