Chapter 38

I awoke still on the bathroom floor. My tears had worn me out so that the crawl back into bed seemed too far and the coolness of the tile seemed too inviting.
My sore limbs were protesting that choice.
Loudly.

I propped myself up and smoothed the hair out of my face.
When I looked in the mirror last nights misery was displayed plain for anyone to see. The kohl that had lined my eyes now ran down my cheeks in a waterfall of black.
I smudged it more with the back of my hands before turning on the tap. I let the bath fill and I poured in a sweet smelling oil. I sank in and let it slowly melt away all my problems.

Like my other public outings I hadn't expected Mor to help me get ready. Early starts and hangovers never mixed and I was happy to let her rest and do it myself. Even if the sun sitting high in the sky told me it was late afternoon.

I still couldn't help but feel a little lonely without her endless chattering filling the silence. Gods knew how much I needed the silenced filled right now.

Although my brain had won last night, my heart still violently disagreed. To think about it all made my head feel heavy and with what was happening later tonight I couldn't be distracted.

After trying to scrub myself clean of all my worries I lifted myself out of the bath and wrapped myself in the only towel that wasn't covered in blood.

I left my bathroom and wandered over to the box Mimi had given me. I still hadn't seen my dress for tonight. I hoped it would stay more intact than the one I wore last night. I cringed at the loss of it, what I'd let myself do to such a beautiful gown in my anger.
As I undid the bow on the box I vowed to myself I would try to take batter care of this one.

I gasped as I pulled it out the box. It was green, like I had asked. Like the deepest shade of the forest mixed with the lighter hues that reminded me of spring. The bodice was made of a wholly sheer material, the only thing keeping my modesty were leaves, vines and flowers stitched onto it, giving off the idea that this was a dress for Mother Nature herself. The sleeves seemed to hang down, off the shoulder, leaving them exposed but covering your arms. Billowing freely around them to then gather at the wrist and splay out again. They were still sheer but kept the same vibrant green as the stitching in the bodice. The skirts were not too full, still allowing room to run. They seemed to move freely and I imagined they would fan out if I danced, like a flower in bloom. The vines and leaves seemed to snake their way down and I noticed that they shimmered under the light.
Cinching the waist was a belt of fabric flowers covered in beads and sequins. Muted tones of blues, pinks and purples that added just the right amount of colour to set off the gown perfectly.
I hung it up on my wardrobe door and just admired it. I really wished I could take Mimi home.

I went and sat at the vanity. Smiling to myself slightly. Now I just needed to make myself look worthy to wear such a dress.

I had spent hour trying to lace up the dress myself when Arwen marched into my room.

"Oh thank the Gods, I thought your ass being late meant you had forgotten all together."

Still reaching around trying to grasp the ribbons I had to speak through gritted teeth
"No-I'm ready- I just- need to- ahh"
In my efforts I had managed to trip over the heels I had yet to put on.

I heard Arwens smirk from my spot on the floor.

I sat myself up from the heap I was in. "Help me?"

Her smile dropped and she winced. "Isnt Mor around here somewhere?"

I motioned for her to help me up and she held out her hand.

"You know she isn't or I wouldn't have been doing this for the past hour."

"I don't know how to lace up a dress!"

"Something tells me you've undone many in your time. So you can take ur excuse and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Now, just think of what you do then and do the opposite."

She just glared at me.

"Do you want me to screw up your entire plan by being late?"

"Turn around."

I smiled as I faced away from her.

"Somehow I knew that would do the trick. You are a soldier through and through."

"Shut it before I change my mind."

I'm sure she did it up a little tighter than comfortable just to spite me.

Despite not being able to breathe I felt ready. I marched my way down the stairs behind a still grumbling Arwen. A group had gathered in the sitting room and as they turned around the greet me I found myself looking for a face I knew wasn't going to be there. It was cruel. I had asked him not to be here and he was respecting that wish. But I so desperately wanted to see that trouble maker smile of his. The curve of his mouth that told me we were about to do something we definitely should not be. I smiled to myself at the memory, a smile to which I turned to all of the faces now looking up at me.

Feyre floated over to me.

"Oh Evie you look stunning!"
A flush of shame crept over me.
Though none of it showed on her face I hadn't seen her since the incident last night.

"Thankyou so much," I lowered my tone "I'm so sorry Feyre for last night, I can't apologise enough. I was out of order. The whole thing was."

She just raised her eyebrows at me like she was shocked at the words that had left her mouth.

"You do not apologise to me. You did nothing to make you need to apologise to me. My son on the other hand has some explaining to do."

"But I kissed Fraser and I -"

"Your body is yours to do with what you please. No man should dictate that. Don't forget it."

She kissed me cheek and let me walk further into the room, where a map was laid out on the coffee table.

Even though I had apologised to Feyre I still felt that last bit of shame clinging on. I looked around at the faces of the people who had taken me in and no amount of judgment shone through. I was more than grateful for it.
Instead they all had a heavy look of determination, I hadn't forgotten why.

Cassian spoke first. "You have your cover name and you've memorised your background knowledge."

It wasn't a question but I nodded regardless.

"But we have a problem."

I frowned but didn't interrupt.

Nesta spoke. "News has come in there will be another guest coming in from Montessere. It would be a bit awkward if you were to meet at the party and a man you were meant to know very well has no idea who you are. Therefore he needs to be disposed of."

Azriel nodded,
"We can't get past the spring courts borders without Tamlin being alerted. Plus they have maximised their security for tonight."

My finger traced alone the map. "So we attack in the human realms?"

"Although we have habits for pissing off the other realms and courts, it would not be in our best interests to break the treaty."

"So what are you saying?"

Nesta smiled,

"You attack alone and try not to get your dress dirty in the process."