Chapter 28

I could feel the tears starting to build up. Then I could feel them pouring down my face. I felt Eli pull me into his chest and I smiled into the folds of his crumpled black shirt.

When I looked up at him, the confusion that still lay on face and I could feel a bubble of laughter rising up my throat at the sight.

"Star," He smiled, "your gonna have to explain a bit further,"

I laughed, choking on it through my tears.

Smiling, I quickly explained, "It's a sort of bond in my world and it's very rare. It means that we can share our powers. I can use yours you can use mine. It explains so much. I just never thought I would find mine."

I looked up at Eli. His face was blank and I froze. The tears and laughter stopped and I just stared up at him.

I was talking about a bond that he may not even want to have with me.

I took a step back, away from him. To let him breathe.

The loss of contact seemed to break his trance and he reached out for me but I just pulled further back.

"It's okay you know, if you don't want this I can promise not to use your power again. I'm sorry I did the first time, I didn't know what I was doing. I just-"

"Stop," he said. Stopping the words still in my mouth.

He walked towards me and put a finger under my chin, guiding my eyes back up to his.

"It is my honour to be your carranam,"

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.
"Really?"

He laughed, "really,"

We stared at eachother for a moment before he broke the trance and looked around at the unconscious bodies that had been spared my surge of power.

"When we've sorted these bastards out I want you to tell me all about it. But for now we have the get at least one of them back for interrogation"

I followed his eye line and gasped.
"They smelled of blood,"

I lunged for the first creature I took out and rolled him onto his front. With my knees pinning his arms to the ground.

I slapped him, once, twice. He moved but he did not open his eye. I was about to slap him again when Eli caught my hand.

"Leave him, I've seen his thoughts. Let's go,"

"What about them? We can't leave them here!"

Swirling shadows in the corner of my eye alerted me of his presence.

"I'll take it from here," Az stated.  I nodded at him and looked to Eli.

Together we ran.

We ran through the darker streets of Velaris until we found them. The alley was shaded by tall buildings and the scent of blood was overwhelming. It was everywhere, the floors slick with it. I dropped to my knees infront of the first male. I felt for a pulse. Nothing.
He was gone.

"Star,"

Eli was hovering over a female, his fingers just leaving her wrists and his eyes were bright.

I scrambled over and quickly located where the blood was coming from. I pressed down on the wound halting the blood from gushing out.

I felt Elis presence behind me peering over my shoulder.

"The male?" He asked.

I couldn't answer him. Couldn't say it out loud.
The Naga came back here for me. And now these people were dead, because they'd been in their path.

"Here hold this wound,"

He shifted so he was doing just that. I stood with a new urgency. I wouldn't let this female die.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To get water,"

I didn't give an explanation as I burst into a sprint.
The Sidra.
I needed to get to the river. Running back down the streets I'd just traveled I could feel my heartbeat in my head. The bouncing light of the moon off the water told me I was close. I skidded down the bank and kneeled next to the waters edge. I leashed my power and focused. A droplet of water lifted from the river and I circled it in my hands. Carefully and as quickly as I could I ran. Hoping and praying to any god that would listen that I made it back to Eli and the female in time .

I screeched to a halt next to the female and Eli moved over, trusting me completely, regardless if he had no idea what I was doing.

I closed my eyes and concentrated. I lowered the droplet down and let it cover the females wound.
Eli's intake of breath was the only thing that let me know that my power was working. I looked down and the females skin was knitting itself back together. She groaned a little, groggy from blood loss and trauma. I put a cool hand on her forehead and stroked a soothing hand through her hair. "Shhhh, it's okay, you're safe," I reassured her.

Once her wound was healed I looked to meet Eli's eyes. I didn't take the time to figure out what shone in them.

"She's lost a lot of blood we need to move her, is there somewhere we can take her?"

"Madja our healer has an office we can take her to."

I gave a quick nod and Eli shifted, carefully picking up the female in his arms. I grabbed onto his arm and he winnowed us away.

Now sat in the corner of the waiting room of Madja's office I jumped as the door burst open.

"Eva, sweetheart are you okay?" Feyre, hurried to me placing a cool hand on my cheek.

I smiled at her, forcing the corners of my lips upwards.

"Im okay, really." I didn't say what I was really thinking. That though I was okay, the man lying dead on the street was not.

She must of seen the flash is guilt pass through my expression.

"You are not at fault." She said more sternly.

Eli walked into the room and Feyre went to check on her son. Behind her I noticed Rhys, he caught my eye and gave me an understanding nod before moving over to Feyre and Eli.

"I'm good, really I promise." Eli danced around his mothers fussing and addressed us all.

"She's okay, Madja has made sure she's rested but Evie did most of the work,"

Rhys turned to me, something like shock displayed on his face "you can heal?"

I smiled, slightly startled at all the attention"Oh -um yes. I inherited it from my mother, though it's only a small part of my power. I wanted to be a healer when I was younger but I guess it didn't work out,"

"Well I think you would've made a terrific healer based off the way you stitched that girl back together," Madja had slipped into the room. The deep lines decorating her face only adding to her aura of wisdom.

I smiled at her, brushing off her praise even if my cheeks did flush a tad.

"Unless you have anything you need checking," she directed at me "then I must ask you to be on your way, I have other patients resting and they need my attention,"

I nodded and Feyre, Rhys and Eli trailed out of the office, thanking Majda as they went. I lingered at the door for a second, looking back. As if she knew what I was about to ask she smiled slightly. "You are free to visit tomorrow if you wish,"

"Thankyou, Majda."

Her quick nod had me closing the door softly behind me.