Chapter 48

I explained everything.
To him and myself.
I'd not thought about the whole situation, not let myself go over my failures for my own sake.

It was the height of midday when I'd gotten to the end of the story. Not forgetting to include the mysterious woman and Tamlins confusing speech.

I had watched him from the corner of my eye as I'd retold it all. Watched as I thought his jaw may break from clenching it so tightly when telling him about Callens actions towards me. But to his credit, he listened to it all and did not interrupt once, keeping a tight leash on his anger. I watched as he seemed to go over it all in his own head, creating an image of the events for his mind to play out, so he could fully grasp onto my words.

I felt lighter, I'd realised. I was glad he had asked me to tell him, not if I was okay or if he could make it better, but just to allow him to understand.

We walked for a while longer before I felt that weight return.

I stopped walking. One question and one question alone swirling around in my thoughts. Taunting me. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten till now, the one defining factor for us being here and I'd managed just to sweep it under the rug with no explanation.

"What did you mean by the harp?"

Eli stopped in-front of me, back facing my way. I already didn't like this, his shoulders that had seemed more relaxed, only bunched up in response, his posture stiffened. He made no move to answer me.

I repeated myself, I felt my words come out slightly sharper, it almost sounded like an accusation.
"What did you mean by the harp?"

He finally turned and met my eyes. The sight of him shifting under my gaze seemed to light a fire of unease in my chest. We never lied to each other, we were a team, he was my Carranam. Our souls saw it's equal in one another. He wouldn't lie.

"It's what opened the portal."

I felt my temper rise slightly.

"I know that, and you know I do. Why did you seem to know of it so well?"

If I thought his posture had stiffened before I had been kidding myself. It looked like he was a bowstring ready to be fired. Everything about him seemed taught.

"They shouldn't of had it. It wasn't theirs."

I narrowed my eyes.
"Then who's was it."

"Star..."

"Who's was it. Who does the thing that could've gotten me home all along belong too?"

Silence.

My temper was ready to blow off its lid.

"Who's was it Elias?"
I was shouting with no regards to the fact we were still on the run.
"Ours, it's ours. The night court. But it shouldn't of been used, it's too powerful its-"

I stopped him with a hand. "Why didn't I come across it in my research, I scoured that library, read every book on travelling through worlds. Why didn't it come up?"

He was silent again. No answer to my question. I looked back, remembered him staying with me in the library, helping me, grabbing books insisting i was working to hard to move.

"It was you."
It wasn't a question and he knew it. He lurched forwards, hands holding me in place.

"It wasn't an option Evie. It takes too much power. The spring court sacrificed one of their own to use it, that male died screaming."

I wanted to erupt, felt like I could hear a whistling in my ears that kept getting louder and louder.

"Then why hide it from me?" I flung my arms out, Furious. "I would've read that and decided the same as you! What the fuck do you think of me?  Am I that unhinged that you would instead lie to my face and steal information from under my nose so I wouldn't find out?"