Chapter 37

Evie's POV

I could see Frasers head moving closer to mine and I froze. He was going to kiss me.

Why wouldn't he? I had just danced with him like that, given him every signal to tell him that was what I wanted. But as his head got closer and his lips closed over mine I realised that it wasn't what I wanted at all.

I felt so immature and stupid all at once and I pulled away.

But not before the room was submerged into darkness.

Fraser was inches away from my face only seconds before but now he was nowhere to be seen. For a brief panicked moment I thought I'd gone blind the darkness was so thick.

It wasn't the soothing kind. It was the kind of darkness that you fought to free yourself from, the kind that struck fear into your heart. I was not scared by it though. I felt the anger all around me but it did not seep into me. I heard the fear, screams came from the crowd and then it was gone. The darkness surrendered to light and I immediately started surveying the room. I knew it was him. He was here.

"What just happened?" I looked back up at Fraser who's eyes seemed as frantic as his words.

All I could feel in response to his panic was anger. I felt it rising up my body.
"I need to go."

"Eva. Evalin, wait!"

It was too late, I was already moving.

He had been here and seen it. He had hurt me and now got to throw a temper tantrum when things didn't go his way! When I saw him I was going to-
"Evie."

I snapped around

I didn't even have the chance to speak before a cold hand was around my arm and I was back in my room.

The walls shrunk in on me and the crowds disappeared.

Mor was stood infront of me. My mouth flew open before I even knew what I was going to say. She silenced me with a finger."You are going to stand here and listen."
I scoffed and Mor's stare only bore into me.

"I dont make a habit of getting involved in stupid domestic fights, but when it involves the two most powerful people in the world, who are both still so young and not fully incontrol," My brows scrunched together in disagreement, but she spoke before I could get a word in."I have to step in." she pinched the bridge of her nose like she couldn't even believe what was happening.
"He is up in the mountains, free to air his stupid territorial grievances in the open, but I brought you here. One, because I believe you have you can show more constraint that my nephew, and two, so you can't get anywhere near him and set him on fire."

I laughed bitterly, "Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me."

"Proving my point."

She paused for a second and her stern voice softened a touch "Believe me, I agree with you, what he did was stupid but if it makes it any better he didn't mean to lose control like that. Rhysands had over 500 years to learn to control that amount of power, I mean, you should've seen the messes he created when he was Eli's age, trust me they were a lot worse than switching the lights of for a second."

"Mistake or not he's still an ass."

"Oh I agree, please by all accounts give him hell when you see him, just for my sakes refrain from the fire," she winked. "Okay hun, I'm gonna go back to the party, convince the guests 'that' it was all part of a planned lights show, and then get horrendously drunk."

She turned on her heels and strutted towards the door, turning slightly, so she faced me just as she was about to leave.

"Get some sleep, Evie. You need your beauty rest if your going to spy on the spring court and not get caught."