Chapter 40

2 loud slaps on the back of the carriage sent it jostling forward, right over to the stables where the other horsemen and drivers were gathering. I made my way closer to the manor, feeling oh so very satisfied with myself. Everything so far was going perfectly. Even if that thought alone felt like I was tempting fate. I tried to turn my mind to thoughts that couldn't sway the tides and screw me over.

On my journey here I had been captivated by the lands. Everything seemed vibrant here, from the tallest trees down to a single blade of grass, it was all so bright.

Tamlin's home had not disappointed as I now made my way closer.
I had been told the court had seen dark times after the war, none of it seemed to show through now. It seemed to be gleaming in the afternoon sun like it had only been built yesterday.
Large, grand gardens felt like an extension of Rosehall, every single flower seemed to be in full bloom and they each boasted eye catching colours that would draw one in to look closer. The party seemed to flow through the house and into the gardens, with small groups gathering and pointing at the marvellous displays of nature.

I kept my eyes seemingly to myself, trying to attract as little attention as possible to the girl who had just arrived alone. Once I was in there, in the blur of bodies, I could melt away, but for now people would see a young lady unaccompanied and question it. My face would stick in their minds and that was something I did not want. Not at least right away.

I lifted up my skirts, climbing the marble stairs into the manor. The black and white checkered floors sparkled as the sun hit them. The house seemed to be thrown wide open. With each door and window letting the cool breeze filter in, I filtered out and into the back gardens, discreetly hurrying to blend in.

The party was young and the attendees not yet drunk, which meant less chance to look around. Now was the time I scoped out who I needed to. I had not yet spotted Tamlin or one of his 4 sons, but I suspected the host's arrival wouldn't be too hard to spot.

I started my leisurely stroll around the grounds, picking up a flute of champagne as I went. A sweet melodic tune floated around the garden with me. I lingered around the edges of groups, listening in for any hushed conversations.

A gathering of extravagantly dressed ladies giggling informed me that Tamlins Oldest son was looking for a wife. That made my eyebrows raise ever so slightly. From the reports, Callan was a year younger than I. Sure, some Fae in high power got married young, but usually there was no rush. I tucked that piece of information away, I felt that if all else failed it could be of some importance.

The calm tune sped up slightly and my eyes, aswell as the rest of the parties, were drawn to the steps of the manor. 5 tall blonde males were striding down them. It was unmistakable, my targets had entered the party. They were all handsome, and nearly identical. That fact was clearly not lost on the ladies stood next to me. I swung around to them, a playful smile on my face.

"Oh my gods! Did you see the size of Callen's arms!"
Despite my clear interruption to a conversation I was not a part of, they all turned to me with matching smiles.

I spent the next 20 minutes listening to how dreamy his eyes were and coaxing more information out of them. When it all amounted to nothing I moved on, floating around the garden until the sun started to set and the drinks were truly flowing.

Seeking out another glass of champagne I wasn't going to touch, I moved towards the refreshment stands.

A small blue man held out a tray, I reached down and plucked up a glass, but not before a hand could close over mine. My head cocked up and I met green eyes. It seemed like my target had found me.

Callan smiled.

"Seems like we both had the same idea." He nodded to the joining of our hands.

I smiled down at the floor before fluttering my lashes and meeting his gaze once more. I readjusted my grip so the glass was in his hand.