Chapter 44

There were no signs of a celebration left over at Rosehall manor. An eerie silence filled the air making it hard to breathe it in. The feeling seemed to drift from inside the house, where the lights were dim and no shadows danced within them. The wind howled with unease, some would say it was a sign to turn back, to abandon plans. I shut myself off from it. Anyone would think that the spring court had gone to sleep, but I knew better.

The last time I had been here had been a show of good faith, the night court and spring were never best of friends but that was not the point. The point being they were not yet enemies, too many lives had been lost in the wars to start up another and risk what had been rebuilt. So fancy balls, much like the one tonight, were thrown in hopes of patching up the gaps in the ever worsening relationship.

I had danced that night, with a pretty girl who's name I'd long forgotten, the beat of the music, fast and loud, much like the pounding of my heart, keeping me sure of my role in tonight's mission. Though truly calling it a mission would be a lie. It was a haphazard plan quickly thrown together by Arwen, Azriel and I, but it had to be good enough. I wouldn't accept the alternative.

For now, we were scoping out the grounds, trying to lower the shields stopping us from entering, Arwen was crouched down, eyes closed, whispering silent words and I watched as the shield wavered in response to her magic. We'd been here for hours now with no signs of it breaking, things were now looking up. Arwen had gained a small amount from my aunt Nesta, though she rarely used it, tonight would be a test of her strength, I knew she would pass, she had to. I watched the shield waver again, soon, it would fall and I would go in, but every second until that point seemed too long. I hadn't know true restlessness before this moment, having her being so close but not yet safe, was a different type of torture. I felt like a held breathe waiting to be released. Every fibre in my body was furious but tonight I would have to content myself with punching the bastards into a pulp. As Ariel had reminded me, this was no time to go and disrupt the peace within the courts, even if it were hanging on by a thread. Unrest had been prominent throughout the lands, the rebels were example of that, but starting war for a girl who didn't even belong to this world, no matter a court, would not be justifiable in any outsiders eyes. No matter if I found it extremely reasonable at this moment in time.

"It's done,"

I turned to face Arwen, her face was pale, magic drained. She stood wobbling slightly and Azriel propped her up.

"They are preparing for something, that shield was unusually strong."

She wobbled again and I reached for her but Azriel had her standing straight again before I could help.

I levelled a look at my drained cousin "Will you be okay?"

She gave me an easy smile "you fuss more than my own mother." She paused, her face face dropping into something more serious. "Now go and get my new friend back."

"You know the signal." Azriels words were not a question.

I nodded once at him and then at my cousin.

"Stick to the plan, Elias. No one is dying tonight, no matter if they deserve it."

I didn't respond. Giving one last glance at my family, I winnowed away.

Becoming one with the darkness I moved silently around the Manor, scanning each room as I went, looking for any signs of life. I was no spy but growing up watching Azriel had taught me a thing or two about being invisible when I wanted to be. Occasionally a servant would hurry down the halls, their footsteps light and mostly unannounced, I didn't pay them too much attention. Tamlins servants were not best treated, I doubted they would be trusted with any plans of the spring court, still I couldn't fully rule them out. Shuffling through paperwork as I went from room to room, I tried to find anything that could help me with what they had planned, I kept coming up empty. Whatever it was, they weren't leaving traces of it out in the open.