Chapter 9

Eli smiled at me

"Right now,"

The next thing I knew he was grabbing my waist and lifting me.
I got that feeling again in the pit of my stomach. Like I was falling and couldn't stop. The feeling I had when I was being taken from my home. It was over in the blink of an eye but that didn't stop me from clinging onto Eli with dear life.

"Star, your claws are digging in," he ground out

I jumped back "Give me some warning next time!"

He shrugged "it's more fun this way,"

"What the hell did you just do?" I said still feeling uneasy.

He started to answer when a female voice took over
"He winnowed, but I don't expect you to know what that means otherwordling,"

She stepped round the corner and all I could do was stare. She seemed to radiate power. She was tiny but I could sense her soul. It was like it was too big to be in such a small form it seemed like it was waiting to get out.

I smiled at her "otherworldling is a bit rich coming from you,"

Her ruby red lips curved into a grin of her own. "Everyone is downstairs in the dining room," and with that she disappeared

I looked at Elias and all he said as in response to my confusion was "Amren,"

He lead me down to what I guessed was the dining room. On the way I took in my surroundings. I was in a large building. I was in a home. It was beautifully decorated one, with paintings like the ones I'd seen in galleries in Terrasen. I slowed my steps to really take one in. It was beautiful. It was showed what looked like stars shooting across a nights sky. It was like nothing I'd ever seen. I was in awe. In my admiration I had came to a full halt without me even realising. Eli was gone. Shit. I hurried along trying to find the dining room.

I heard stern hushed voices coming from a room and I followed them.

"You not only missed your very important meeting but now you've winnowed a random girl who you've only just met into our house, which may I remind you is enchanted against anyone else doing as such and now you've lost her?"

"Dad how stupid do you think I am- don't give me that look! She's not a danger to us! I would never bring someone who I thought was a threat here,"

"I know what you get like with pretty girls,"

A female voice piped up it was soft and sweet it reminded me of Aunt Elide "well honey, you don't have exactly the best tract record for making rational decisions when it comes to pretty girls,"

"Feyre darling this is not the ti-"

The doors i'd been hiding behind swung open and my eyes met a set a purple ones. Though this face was a maturer version of Eli's. This must be his dad. And by the look on his face he had caught me eavesdropping.

"Found her," Eli said. I could see him fighting the grin I knew was trying to appear.

"I'm sorry, I was following Eli but I saw one of the paintings on the walls and I got distracted," I flashed a guilty smile at them all.

The female voice I heard must've been Eli's mom. She was beautiful. Her voice and face matched. She looked at me stood in the doorway and smiled. It was reassuring.

"Come sit down dear, which painting were you looking at?" She asked me as I approached the table and sat in the free seat next to Eli.

"Oh it was the one in the hallway on the right. It was of the night sky and it had stars scattered through it, they weren't normal stars though, they looked as if they were falling straight through the heavens, it was beautiful,"

Her smile grew.

"Do you paint yourself?" She asked.

I shook my head "I'm more of an admirer, though I would love to be able to paint, I guess I've just never really tried," I admitted

"Eli you must show her the rainbow quarter! Oh I think you would just love it, it is full of the best art the whole of the night court has to offer, oh how rude of me! What is your name sweetheart?"

I smiled at her, she was definitely like my Aunt Elide, sweet and kind but with a spirit of fire.
"My names Evalin,"

"Well Evalin, its lovely to meet you, Eli doesn't really bring round his friends," she added a suggestive tone on the end of her sentence that had me giggling and Eli groaning.

"My name is Feyre, and this grumpy over-protective bat is Rhysand and we are both pleased to meet you," she shot a sharp look to Eli's dad and he gave me a small smile.

I gave him an understanding look, "I understand you know, my family is in power in my world so outsiders are rarely ever trusted easily, take your time, but I promise you while I am here no harm will come to your family through me and my actions."

Rhysand met my eyes and nodded.
"Eli just shared with us his memories of you and the events of the last few days, it may take some time but you are welcome in this home for as long as you need,"

I gave Eli a grateful look and Rhysand spoke to Eli "inner circle meeting about this in the house of wind tomorrow at noon but until then show Eva around Velaris and make her feel welcome," he looked at me "Eva we are going to help you get home and punish whoever took you from it in the first place,"

"Thankyou, you have no idea how much that means to me,"

He smiled at me. And when I turned to look at Eli he was smiling at me too, as was Feyre.

It made me feel less far from home.

"Rainbow quarter?" Eli asked

"I can't wait,"
and with a smile to his parents I followed him through the archway and out of the door.