Chapter 22

When I awoke my whole body felt like it had been beaten down. Rolling onto my side felt like another blow in itself. What had Amren done to me? The sheets surrounding me were silk, cold and slippery to the touch. This wasn't my bed. The room I was in was illuminated by the moonlight piercing through the big bay windows. Through the light I could see the room was big, but at the same time it was small enough it felt warm and cozy. The floors were a dark stained wood and the walls were white, though they were decorated with the most beautiful paintings. When my eyes finally settled back onto the ceiling I almost gasped. It was a night sky. Shades of purples and blues with bright pops of white showing off the stars. The little white dots were connected by silver lines revealing the constellations.

The sound of breathing that was not my own caught my attention. Eli was sat in a chair right next to my bed, I think his aim must've been to watch over me but by the looks of it he'd lost his own battle and let sleep claim him. I felt myself grin.

"Eli," I whispered

"Eli,"

He woke with a start, looking every bit ready for a fight until his gaze settled on me.

"Are you okay? Are you in pain?"

I giggled but the pain had me wincing.

He immediately rushed off his chair and grabbed my hand.

"What can I do?"

I smiled at him "You can stop being a mother hen for a start, I'm okay I promise."

When he looked unconvinced I laced my fingers between his and squeezed his hand

"I've been through worse," that didn't seem to help the situation at all.

"Okay so there is this one thing you could do.."

He nodded waiting for my request,

"I'm hungry," he smiled at me. Like he knew what I was going to say but didn't at the same time.

"Well star, your wish is my command,"

He disappeared for a short moment before returning through the door something in his hand.

I gasped with excitement "is that a picnic basket?"

His grin turned into a wide smile, though I saw him trying to conceal it.

"It might be,"

I'd never seen him go so shy. It was so sweet.

He sat himself on the end of the bed and opened the basket and started dishing out the various different treats he had gathered.

He looked up at me before revealing the last item from the basket.

"Oh my gods!"

2 massive slices of chocolate cake sat in front of me. When I looked closer I only smiled harder. He'd gone back to the bakery I spotted in Velaris. I giggled at the memory of him pulling me away from the window i was drooling all over. I remembered his promise of another day as I squealed with delight. Forgotten were my aches and pains as I launched myself at Eli wrapping him into a hug.

I let go and went back to admiring the cake.

"I was hoping your reaction would be good but this!" He laughed "this is well past anything I could've hoped for,"

I looked at him, smile still plastered over my face,
"Best surprise ever!"

It didn't take long before we'd demolished better part of the feast. I was now lay on the bed groaning from a full stomach and chatting away to Eli.

"What do your tattoos mean?"

I looked down at myself. At the ink that crawled up my arm and decorated my face.

"It is the story of my family, the sacrifices made and the lives lost to free our world from evil. It is inked on my skin as a reminder to myself of the blood shed in order for the throne to be secured. When the time comes for my reign it will serve as a reminder to never give up on myself or my kingdom, no matter how hard times become. Of course it's shortened down a little bit but I hope for one day to have a story of my own worthy enough to lay beside the story of my family." I smiled at him "And they look pretty badass... what do yours mean?"

He laughed "My father is part Illyrian and his blood runs in me so we carry on their traditions. Once I was initiated as a warrior I was given tattoos to signify luck and glory on the battlefield etc, but they also serve as reminders to our promises to others." He pointed at his arm "this one is my promise to the people of the night court to be the best leader I can be when my time to take over from my father comes, through good and bad."

I laid back and rested my head on his lap whilst I pretend to swoon "Oh what a poetic bunch we are,"

He flicked my nose in response as I tried to bat him off. I yawned, my body telling me to sleep.

"Come on Star you need rest,"

Silently he started to clean up all of our leftovers, when I tried to help he batted me off spewing some nonsense about him looking after me.

Insufferable fae bastard.

Despite myself, I let him clear the bed.

I lay back down underneath the covers but the warm bed all of a sudden felt cold.

I looked over to see that Eli had now resumed his spot in his armchair.

I sighed at him, a grin pulling at my mouth. I pulled back the covers and motioned for him to join me.

"You sure?"

I smiled at him "just get in before I change my mind,"

I felt the mattress sink under his weight as he slid under the sheets. I rolled over so I was facing him. We were both grinning at each other like idiots. The next thing I knew I was being pulled from my side of the bed into him so my head was resting just underneath his chin.

"It's for body heat," he explained, I could already hear the fatigue mixing in with the cheeky tone of his voice.

I relaxed against him as I felt his arms circle around, wrapping me in the warmth he promised. I smiled against his chest and let myself drift off.

The next morning I woke with the gentle sun shining on my face and Eli's arms still draped around me. Without realising it I found myself fighting to stay still so I could enjoy that moment just for a little while longer.

———————————————————————————

You asked for fluff and I delivered (hopefully)!
5k?!?!? I know I sound like a broken record but I just want to thankyou all so much because I appreciate your support. I'm sorry if these lil messages are annoying but I can't promise to stop them BECAUSE I NEED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT ILY!!!!

Okay guys peace out & happy reading!!!! <3