Chapter 42

Elias pov
The stars overhead seemed brighter tonight. Maybe it was because I had a better view from the rooftop. I was brooding, Mor, however would've called it sulking.

I'd acted like an ass. I'd gone to her last night even when I knew I should stay away. I'd gone to her even when I knew she would most likely hand my ass to me. I just wanted her to be mad at me at a closer distance.

She needed space. So I was giving that to her, even if it was killing me slightly.

Arwen had come to find me after she had gone, but didn't tell me much else. I think my cousin took one look at the clothes I was in and expression on my face and decided against it. In all honesty I couldn't blame her. I was sitting on the roof of the townhouse, where I always went when I needed to think. Though, I hadn't really come here for that reason, the bottle of wine I had planned to drink sat unopened next to me, so I guess it had turned out like a night just spent thinking regardless.

Though, really, I was doing more than just thinking, I was worrying.

I felt like a held breath, waiting to released. Waiting to go to her. I was sat in full fighting leathers, with about every knife I owned strapped to me. I knew Evie was more than capable but I wasn't planning to look past the promise we had made to each other. When it mattered I would be there. And if tonight happened to be when it mattered I would be there.

So I guess you could truly say I was waiting, not thinking, not getting drunk. Waiting. For her to either come home or for me to go to her.

I knew the rest of the family were waiting too. I think they had taken a more casual approach to it but I could still feel the tension through their thoughts. Mother had tried to convince me to come and wait with them but I had declined. I felt like I could bite someone's head off and my family did not deserve to bear the front of it. No one did. So I was sitting by myself as a form of damage control. I was practically gripping the roof tiles to keep myself from pacing.

I wandered what she was doing right now. Dancing  with one of Tamlins bastard sons probably. I'd met them countless times at court balls. Pricks each and every one of them. The way they spoke about women disgusted me, the same with lesser fae. It's like no time had passed there and they were stuck in the old ways. When I was younger I had been dragged out of many fights with Callan, Tamlins oldest. The thought of him even laying his eyes on Evie had me looking forward the being dragged out of another.

I sighed and lay back onto the roof tiles, shutting my eyes. What was this girl doing to me? I was sat here dreaming of a fight? I felt like I was thirteen again and my dad had just taught me how to throw a proper punch.

I stayed where I was, eyes closed. I was still drawn up too tight to fall asleep but I would allow myself some form of rest. The night was nearly over, the sky had deepened into a rich expanse of blues and purples and she would be home soon. Still angry at me maybe, but home.

I let myself relax, then.

I'd been counting down the minutes until the agreed time she should be back. It wasn't long now. But I still couldn't help a bad feeling from creeping up, into my senses.

I heard the beating of wings and then I felt the push of air. I could tell it was Father by the way his presence was made deliberate, he had to work to break free from the silence of his usual movements.

He landed and sat next to me, I didn't open my eyes. I allowed the cool night breeze to settle around us both.

"You know I'm worried you are getting to much like me." He said, his casual tone slightly grating against my stress.
"Up here, by yourself, brooding, keeping everything to yourself."