Thirty || Kakegurui

-Art by quiyanga on Twitter-

The title has nothing to do with the anime Kakegurui (although, I really liked that anime lmao if you haven't seen it i recommend) I'm just using it as the Japanese word for gambling

~

"Are we there yet?" I muttered for the one hundredth time in the journey even though I knew the answer.

"Yes." Answered Kurapika from the passenger seat at the front. I was about to release another groan but stopped myself as I comprehended what he had just said. I shot up from my seat and looked outside the window. Surely enough, we were driving into the parking lot of the largest casino I had ever seen.

Azia was famous for all it's incredible gambling houses, many tourists are often lured in by the attractive buildings.

Of course, I knew all this. But I had never actually arrived before one, especially not one this big. The large retro vaporwave aesthetic was the most eye-catching thing in the street. The pink and blue neon lights from the inside illuminated the dark sky.

Kurapika got out of the car, followed by Basho and two other men. Our driver waited patiently as I tried to calm myself before exiting the Porsche.

The three of us, accompanied by two additional, non-Hunter bodyguards, walked towards the gorgous entrance to the extravagant casino. "Remember. We're here for work purposes. Our goal is to remake all the money lost at the Yorknew auctions." Kurapika, our boss, said seriously as he straightened his tie.

The group of men split up upon entering the casino, all heading in different directions to fulfill the order. I, on the otherhand, stood at the entrance, gawking at the overwhelming building. My senses couldn't find anything to focus on; the blaring music, the blinding, colourful lights, the yelling and chatters from every person inside, it was all too overwhelming.

Gulping, I slowly walked inside, mesmerised by everything. Every person was glammed up from head to toe, indicating they were upper class and clearly belonged to a family of high social status. It made me feel less out of place than I thought I would, actually. With the short silk dress I was forced to wear, I blended right in. I was self-conscious at first, afraid that I was showing too much skin with this mini black dress but standing here made me realise I was just like every other woman who wore flaunting outfits. Although, I was slightly disheartened that Melody wasn't with me. It was quite uncomfortable having to be the only lady in a group of four men, I didn't say anything about it but I knew that it would have been a lot less intimidating if Melody were here right now.

Taking a deep breath, I strutted through the building, hearing my high heels clacking against the polished floor as I walked. I was unable to identify any of my co-workers within all the men dressed in similar suits but I shook it off and decided that I could just explore the area by myself.

Not even a minute had passed before I was pulled into a game of roulette. Around five or six adults were crowded around the table, placing bets and whatnot.

The croupier was a white man with a unique, pointed mustache which mirrored his sharp hair. Adjusting his bow tie, he leaned across the table and over to me after the others at the table placed their bets, "And how much will you be betting, little lady?" He asked me in a thick accent.

I looked from the man to everybody else standing around me. Overall, everybody looked to be much older than me and much more experienced by the way they were smirking. It must have been obvious that I was new to the idea of gambling to them. But judgement shouldn't be based off by appearance. And I was about to prove that.