Three || A Zoldyck

The five of us had barely made it out in time, it was a miracle that we managed to succeed in completing the pillar within the time limit. But I was glad. I was glad that we found a way to make it out together rather than having to sacrifice two of us. I could only praise Gon's thinking to use the weapons to break the walls when he realised the stone was easily shattered after I ruthlessly punched the stone bricks in attempt to get Leorio and Killua to stop fighting over who to leave behind.

And just like that, the remaining examinees were now all gathered onto this small ship as we awaited the signal for our turn to leave to the forest. Gon, Killua, Leorio, Kurapika and I all sat together as we waited. I didn't intend to stick with them at first but after we exited the pillar I just never had the opportunity to distance myself from them, so I just gave in and chose to hang around them for the time being.

Killua was the first of us to be called. And then Gon. And after Gon had vanished into the forest, it was my turn to enter. My target was #38. I wasn't exactly sure who that was but I was glad it wasn't the number of any of the guys from the group which I had spent the last few days with.

I pulled my hood over my head once I was deep in the forest. Unsure of what I should do first, I climbed a tree. My target was a person, a person whom I did not know and had yet to discover. And I was also the target of somebody else, somebody who's identity I was unaware of- it could be anyone. This may be hard, I thought.

~

Whistling softly, I strolled casually through the woodland, throwing and catching a badge with the number 38 printed on it. That was a lot easier than I thought.

My target turned out to be a slim, plain-looking man; I found him quite easily from the height I was at. It only took two throwing knives to pin him to the ground, where I jumped down and stole his badge. I didn't kill him. He didn't put up much of a fight either upon seeing our difference in strength.

I was no longer worried about anybody targeting me either as I had also encountered the person who was hunting me. It was a little after I had taken out #38, I felt someone watching me and, as I had suspected, it was someone who desired my badge. A tall woman, she was. She was clearly very skilled in combat since she put up a strong fight, unlike the previous man. But I was better. I refrained from using my knives and instead mirrored her actions by fighting with my fists. It was over quickly, with me as the victor. I took her badge.

Which basically explains how I found myself wandering aimlessly through a large forest as I juggled the two sheets I had stolen. I had the tag of the target and my own so that makes six points... but yet I have this extra one that I stole from the woman who tried to attack me. As I was analysing the points I had, voices from ahead could be heard.

Remaining quiet, I stealthily made my way to the source of the commotion. In an opening, beside a large tree, I found Killua face-to-face with three adult men. I hid behind a bush, watching eagerly as I witnessed him take out all three within mere seconds. That kid is insane! I watched as Killua stood calmly, hands clasped behind his head as he watched the trio run from him.

I stared at his back, wondering what facial expression he wore, when I unexpectedly heard his voice, "You can come out now, (Y/N)." My breath hitched. How did he know? I did as told, stepping out from the bush. The albino relaxed his hands, turned towards me with a smirk. "I could tell it was you." I smiled. I expected nothing less from him. We began talking, he asked me how many points I gained.

"Six. I took the tag of my target and I still have my own. I also have this extra one."

"Hm. Have you seen Gon?" He muttered whilst glancing to the side.

"Not yet. We have a few days left until this hunt ends. I can accompany you in searching for him if you'd like." I replied.

"Alright. It's not like I have anything better to do."

And with that, me and Killua were off to spend our remaining days trying to find our friends. I would have been lying if I said I wasn't slightly uncomfortable with the atmosphere. We didn't exchange much words, there wasn't really anything to talk about. I looked over to Killua, he didn't seem bothered by the silence at all.

He just kept walking with his hands stuffed into his pocket, lost in his own little world. I wondered what he was thinking. What went on in his head. So I asked him a question, hoping for an answer which would give me a little insight as to who this boy really was. "Killua, why did you take the Hunter exam?"

He looked a little surprised at the sudden question but still answered, "I don't know. It just looked fun, I guess." His answer only further baffled me. His intention wasn't to be a Hunter but to have fun? How strange. I couldn't help but wonder what sort of life he lived which had led him to take the Hunter exam as a form of entertainment. Killua never spoke about his past or himself, he was always reserved about it. But he was also cheerful and mischievous, and could switch to being violent and cruel within an instant. He never cared much about anything, he only ever tried to see the fun in situations, especially when he was with Gon. Oh... Gon!

"Have you ever had a friend, Killua?" It was only a hunch. But I recalled the way he had fun with Gon and always stayed by his side. He was clingy when it came to that boy which formed a thought that maybe Gon was the first person Killua opened himself to. And I thought I had gotten it right when Killua stopped in his tracks.

Killua looked really suprised at my question. "Why are you asking me this?" I'm just wondering, I told him. "Yes. Gon is my friend." The pale boy crossed his arms and continued walking, looking away after admitting so openly that he had a friend.

I found it cute. "You really like Gon if he's the first person you name after I ask if you have friends, huh?" I watched him get embarrassed as I teased him.

"Moron! Stop acting like I'm so easy to read." He stuck out his tongue and ran ahead. I caught up with him and we continued walking in a more comfortable silence.

Silence until Killua mumbled something. I asked him to repeat what he said. "I'm a Zoldyck." He spoke a little louder. A Zoldyck. I never looked too into the Zoldycks, other than knowing they were an infamous family of assassins. I was surprised, however, learning that he was an assassin but it should have been expected after witnessing his skills. I told him I believed him. He said he was surprised that I thought he was telling the truth.

But why had he told me this so suddenly? "So you're a Zoldyck. Why did you tell me?" I chuckled softly at his sudden statement.

He just shrugged, "I felt like telling you." I looked past it, striking up another subject to tease him about as we wasted our last few hours wandering through the woodland.

If only back then I had realised that this was Killua's way of opening up just a little, trusting me enough to tell me his surname. Perhaps it was because he noticed I was interested in the type of person he was, maybe he liked that I was curious about his friendships because of his view on Gon, or maybe he just needed to reveal an insignificant detail to somebody in hopes that they would accept him even if he was from a family of assassins.

Either way, it was a good memory. Strengthening my friendship as I walked through an endless forest alongside a Zoldyck.

~

I'm trying to get through the Hunter exam ASAP. Yorknew arc is where it's at 😡😡