Fourteen || Red Cheeks

Many events took place in the last three days: Neon lost her Nen and had been hospitalised, the Phantom Troupe was claimed to have been killed and Kurapika was the one sent to retrieve the scarlet eyes for the Nostrades. It was eventful, to say the least.

I felt rather guilty for not contributing any help at all. My only job was to recover from the fatal blow I took on the day of the first auction. Luckily, my injury had pretty much recovered entirely, even one of the doctors at Neon's hospital had checked up on me and said she was surprised to see that a severe tear had been healed over only two days, whereas it would have taken a normal person months to recover. I had finally removed the bandages on the morning of the Fourth to see that what used to be the nastiest wound ever received by me was now only just a scar.

I chose to remove the bandage on this particular day because it was the day where I had planned to meet up with my old friends once more. I chose to wear a long skirt, a pastel pink one that ended at my ankles and tucked a loose white blouse into it. It was only a few days ago that I had worn an outfit similar to this but it somehow felt like so much time had passed.

As I did my hair, Melody entered the room. "You look rather dressed up today, are you going somewhere?" She asked with the most beautiful smile.

"I'm going to go see some of my friends." I answered while tugging at the knots in the bird nest that I wore on my head.

Melody walked over, taking the brush from my hands gently and began brushing my hair with more affection and kindness than I could and would ever show it. "Are you going with Kurapika?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"Because he had the exact same plan."

"I see... was he- was he doing okay?"

"Hm? What do you mean by that?"

"I don't know, it's just- he's been really distant since yesterday. I'm sure you've noticed it too. Did you hear anything strange in his heartbeat?"

"I did. He's depressed and it feels although he's almost void of emotion. Make sure he has fun today, (Y/N). Make sure he has a good time."

"I will, you can count on me." I grinned at the woman as she placed the brush down onto the dresser and ran her soft fingers through my now silky hair.

There was a knock at the door of the hotel room that Melody and I shared. "Are you ready to leave, (Y/N)?" Speaking of the devil, Kurapika mumbled from outside.

I yelled back to let him know I'm coming. My knees almost gave in as I stood up from the chair. It was always like this when he was around- I would get nervous in his presence. Oddly enough, I didn't know what triggered this feeling inside me but I knew that I didn't like it. I just wished that things would go back to how they were, how we were.

It wasn't like the relationship between us two faltered or anything, it was the opposite in fact. Kurapika often came to check on me when I was still healing, he would forcefully observe my injury if I refused to give him permission to. There were other encounters too, like after I heard from Basho that he went to bid on the Kurta eyes; ever since that day he'd come back to my hotel room whenever Melody wasn't around and occasionally sit with me. Neither of us would exchange any words, we would just sit together until he decided to leave or start a meaningless conversation. It was never unpleasant, I knew that Kurapika just needed somebody to sit with and I was fine with being there with him to make him feel less lonely. Although he seemed like an unpredictable, quiet bastard he was still somewhat easy to read.

I waved goodbye to Melody and opened the door to our room to meet the lovely blonde. We strolled down the halls of the hotel.

"How are you feeling?"