Five || Nen? What's That?

I loved February weather. The town was quieter than usual in the late winter weeks. Not that it was usually loud, the atmosphere just happened to be more calm with everyone shut inside their homes due to the cold.

I loved the afternoons the best: the scent of rosemary, the chilly air, the silence that fell upon a small village, all of these highlighted by the walk down from the plaza. I liked looking at my home on the side of the hill. It was such a familiar and comfortable sight. Nostalgia waved through me as I strolled along the dirt path leading towards the little house awkwardly built into a hillside. I was finally home.

Eagerly, I knocked on the wooden door of the small house. After a few moments the door opened slightly, revealing a black-haired woman poking her head through the crack. Her facial expression dropped upon seeing me  before she swung the door open fully and engulfed me in a tight embrace. "Lady (Y/N)! You're home!" The woman held me closely.

I giggled as I returned the comforting hug of the dark haired maid who I missed dearly. "Hey, Kotori. I'm back."

The older girl led me inside, helping me take off my shawl and belt, putting them aside so that I was more comfortable. "How was the exam? Did you pass?" Kotori asked. I smiled in triumph as I pulled out a Hunter license, showing it off proudly. The maid stared in astonishment as she clapped her hands excitedly, "Enri is going to be so happy to see you passed! She was worried sick the entire time you were gone."

My heart throbbed at the mention of my sister. I needed to see her. Kotori walked me to the room of the sick girl, stopping outside her door before knocking lightly. "Enri," Kotori said quietly. "(Y/N)'s here."

Almost immediately after she said those words I heard a soft voice from behind the door plead for us to enter. I walked into the dimly lit room, noticing that the bedroom was simple and plain- exactly how it was when I left a month ago. And in the corner of the small room was a girl, sitting up in a mess of blankets on her bed. Her unkempt (H/C) hair so long that it reached down to the bed. She wore a desperate look on her face, her eyes filled with worry. The girl mumbled my name as she stared at me longingly.

My legs moved on their own when they leaped across the room towards the young girl so I could pull her into a hug. I buried my face in her shoulder, taking in the sweet scent which was so similar to our late mother's. "I've missed you." I whispered to my sister.

The frail girl tightened her grip on me, whispering back "I missed you too."

Pulling away suddenly, Enri began gasping for air as she coughed violently into her hands. I backed away while Kotori gave her some medicine and a glass of water. Her condition hadn't improved. She was still as sick as ever. I frowned.

Enri took a breath and looked at me. "I'm okay, really." She reassured after seeing my down face. "What about the exam, are you a Hunter now?"

Just like I did with Kotori, I showed my younger sister the little card which stated my new title as a Hunter. She squealed, exclaiming how happy she was. "Tell me about it. Tell me about the exam. I want to know everything."

I ruffled her hair and nodded at her request. I sat on her bed and patted the space beside me. "Sit with us, Kotori. I know you want to know too." Said girl smiled and sat with me.

So, finally after so many weeks, I sat with the two and told them every detail of my story.

~

"And I took this picture when I was with Killua after we had some time left during the fourth phase." I showed the photograph to the two girls either side of me.

"Wahhh, he looks so focused in his thoughts! Did he even notice you took it?" Enri stared at the pale boy in the photo in awe.

I huffed and nodded my head. "Duh, he's a trained assassin, of course he noticed. He tried to get me to delete the picture immediately after but I held the camera over my head so he couldn't reach. He gave up, luckily, and allowed me to keep this beautiful picture." I smiled at the memory.