Twenty-One || Better Days

The rest of the week was spent in misery. I barely left my room, spending hours laying in darkness and silence or sleeping away the pain. I didn't move from my bed much, only got up to use the bathroom or occasionally take the food that Kurapika would leave for me behind the door.

Poor Kurapika having to deal with my corrupted state of mind. I never once let him in my room, I didn't want him to see me like this. I didn't really speak to him either. He would knock on the door some days to ask if I was okay or wanted to talk, just basic questions to make sure I was still alive and hadn't died in that crusty room. He didn't appear mad when I didn't give a reply which went beyond a 'no' or, in some occasions, just a pathetic grunt, he just turned away and did whatever he did. I did feel bad about it, but not bad enough to force myself to get up. 

That was until the particular Monday of the following week. I felt like getting up, surprisingly. Maybe it was the fact that my body was so sick of me for being a lump of sadness for so long, or the way that I was aware of how unproductive I had been over the last few days, or even just boredom of staying huddled in those same blankets over and over again. All I knew was that I had had enough of it, I wanted to be me again. And, maybe because I realised that, Enri would have never wanted me to be like this. She was never a girl who would want people to mope or cry over her. If she were here, she'd give me a grin and tell me to cheer up. The thought was comforting; it was almost as if I could really hear her voice and see her face.

It was what motivated me to continue living my normal life that morning. I had woken up a lot earlier than I had meant to. Not that I planned to get up incredibly late, like I usually did, I just hadn't expected to wake up at almost eight in the morning.

It felt weird. It wasn't that I was still upset about Enri. Of course, the feelings will always be there but I wasn't as broken as before because I had learned to accept it. I kept reminding myself that Enri wouldn't want me to be upset like this anyways.

The first thing I noticed when I emerged from the bedroom was the house was silent. There was no sound at all from the little cottage. Only the birds chrirping in the distance or the very faint laughing of village children from below the hill. I went back into my room and did my hair for the first time in a while. I got changed too. I wore a dress today, I hadn't worn one in a while. It was pale and went off my shoulders, it reminded me of freshly cleaned bedsheets and white carnations.

After getting ready, I skipped across the house and stood outside a closed wooden door. I took the handle and jiggled it slowly, trying to make as little noise as possible while I opened it a crack to poke my head in. The room inside was dark so not much was visible, but I managed to make out a boy's figure under the cotton covers of the bed. I closed the door carefully after making sure that Kurapika was, in fact, still here. I never knew what he did during the time that I had locked myself away. I never saw him because, as I mentioned, he only communicated to me through a door. It was a mystery as to what he did during the days, I needed to ask him about it later.

After making sure Kurapika was still asleep, I got to work right away with making something for the two of us. I was thankful to him for staying with me yesterday so I wanted to show him by giving him a proper breakfast.

Two hours had passed before I was nearly finished with the preparations, taking the tray out of the small, old oven, when the door of the guest bedroom released a loud creak. I almost dropped the tray of pastries when I heard the raspy voice of my friend ask: "What are you doing..?"

I giggled and took off my pink oven mits. "I was making breakfast for us. I know you're not one to like sweet things but I thought that it would be nice if-"

"You left your room." He interrupted me with a surprised statement.

My lips parted as I stared at the boy who stood in the doorway. His hair was a mess, golden strands sticking up in all directions and his clothes where practically slipping off his slim figure, the neckline exposing his collarbones and his sweatpants falling so low that they grazed the wooden floorboards. "I did." I said in a tone equally as dull as his. I knew why he said that. He must have been surprised to see me up so early and joyous as if I wasn't just bawling my eyes out the previous day. I returned to the hot cinnamon rolls on the counter and began sorting them into a small marble plate. "I'm... I'm not over it, Kurapika. But I feel a lot better now, I think. I've been thinking, and my sister wouldn't have wanted me to mope over her." I smiled sadly while clearing the wooden counter of any crumbs. "Go get ready and come join me for breakfast." He stared at me for a moment before going back into the room to do as he was told. In the meantime, I poured two cups of tea.