Twenty-Six || Blood

-Art by huangdanlan on Twitter-

I reached up to the buzzer and pressed on the large white button. "Yoshikage's attendant speaking." A deep voice erupted from the speaker.

"Yes, hello, I'm (Y/N) (L/N)- a friend of Touma's." I spoke into the same machine plastered onto the brick wall.

I waited for a moment before hearing the man talk again, "Ah yes, Touma-san told us you would be coming. The gate is unlocked." There was a small buzz and the speaker turned off. After taking one last look at my surroundings, I pushed open the large bronze gates to the palace.

After some days of planning and preparing, Kurapika, Melody, Basho and I finally put the plan in action. My job was to enter the estate, find and take the eyes, and leave. It wasn't as simple as that, actually but that was the gist of it. We later found out that the Yoshikages have a humongous home, one larger than we anticipated meaning it would be difficult to pinpoint where the eyes were being held, so we were really just relying on Touma to show me. There was also the possibility of the bodyguards being Nen users. It was highly unlikely as none of them were Hunters but we couldn't ignore the chance that it may happen. Because of this factor, it was decided that the others would follow in to support me if things got messy.

However, as I walked to the front door of the building, I couldn't shake the feeling that things were to go horribly wrong. The thought erased itself when I saw the front door opening to reveal Touma, dressed in his usual style with a white buttoned shirt underneath a knitted brown sweater that complimented his beige pants kept up by a thick leather belt. His hair looked fluffier than usual, reminding me of a dog's fur.

"Welcome, m'lady." He smiles jokingly. I faked a grin as I entered. A butler offered to take my coat but I declined. "I was overjoyed when you wanted to see me again, especially when you requested to visit my home." Touma said as we walked through the main hall. "What would you like to do? We could go see the pool, or I could show you to my-"

"Actually," I interrupted him. "I'd like for you to show me all the art in your house." He looked taken back by my request but agreed to it none-the-less. God, how I felt guilty for taking advantage of him.

He took my hand and gave me a tour around his house, proudly showing off all sculptures and paintings displayed in every wall and corner. We chatted a lot about them and, although I knew that I was to try to complete my task as soon as possible, I made sure to genuinely laugh and enjoy myself as this would be the last time I would see this man.

Hours went by as we traveled around his lovely house, carefully observing each painting. Eventually, we went into the study on the second floor. Touma took me to the back of the room where an oil on canvas hung on the wall in a golden frame. I recognised it as Van Gogh's Starry Night.

"It's the original." Said Touma, his brown skin appearing golden by the light of the setting sun shining through the windows. "Sold at over one hundred million."

I looked from the man to the picture, admiring each stroke of paint on the canvas. "It's beautiful." I muttered.

Touma stared at me for a while. And then, like a cat with a piercing gaze, he asked, "Who was that guy?"

"What guy?"

"The guy who came up to us in the park all those weeks ago."

"Just like he said, he's my boss."

"A normal boss wouldn't go through the effort of bringing back a worker on their day off."

"Fine, he's a friend."

"So why did he take you away, exactly?"

"He was worried."

"He was worried... are you- are you sure he's just a friend?"