Eleven || A Car Ride

-Art by huangdanlan on Twitter-

It was right after breakfast. Neither of us had anything to do that day so we were alone in the Nostrade mansion. Melody and Basho were away to another event with Neon. Dalzollene was a busy man, he told us he had business on the other side of town. Baise was on a date with the lovely Toshi who she met at the ball earlier that week.

Kurapika and I sat at the breakfast table and tended to our own things. Him shuffling through a few papers and occasionally scribbling down some notes while I watched him occupy himself as I sipped my chamomile tea. The only sound in the hall other than the scrunching of his paperwork and the short sips I took from the teacup was the dreadfully boring ticks of the spruce clock. We could sometimes hear the pitter-patter from the maid's feet as they scurried through other parts of the building to do their jobs.

The boy across me dropped his pen onto the glass table and leaned back. "Listen," he said. "I need to pick something up in town."

'Something' was probably some documents that Dalzollene asked Kurapika to pick up for him while he was away. The head bodyguard always entrusted his small errands to trustworthy boy.

I shrugged. I thought he was telling me that he would be leaving for a short while, that I was going to be left alone in the mansion by myself. I didn't mind, I would probably just read a book or make some food for myself and, if I craved interaction so much like he was probably thinking, I always had the kind maids and butlers to speak to. But Kurapika still looked displeased in my lack of interest. What did he want? Was he so desperate for me to bid him a farwell and to have a safe journey? I really didn't know what he wanted from me.

"Let's go together." He finally said after a pause. I watched him neatly pile his papers together.

"Now?" What I must have meant was, Really?

"Why, have you got anything better to do?"

"No."

"So let's go." He took a hold of his pages with his fountain pen and stood up from his chair to take them elsewhere.

I only watched as his figure disappeared down the hall. He never asked me to go with him somewhere before. It was what he wanted me to ask when he stared at me after announcing his errands. I didn't get the message so instead of giving up and going by myself he took to be the one to ask me. I was touched.

But I couldn't shake the thought that maybe the reason that he asked me was to fulfill his own loneliness. What if he simply didn't want to be in a large and unfamiliar city by himself. Or perhaps he took pity on me and my uneventful life that he decided to take it upon himself to sparkle in even a little bit of action in my boring routine. There was no way he wanted me to be there with him because he liked my company. We spent that whole morning together, just the two of us sitting at the same table for an hour in silence while he did his work and I drank my tea. If he really did like me that much wouldn't he have struck a conversation with me? But then again Kurapika wasn't someone to talk too much. He was quiet and reserved. But wait, wasn't I just assuming that I'm a pleasant person to just be around if I was making excuses for him not speaking to me? Then what is it, for what reason did he ask me to-

"Are you okay? You haven't moved since I left." A deep and almost feminine voice made stop overthinking. I closed my mouth and frantically stood up, almost tripping from the nerves. I apologised and quickly took the dirty teacup to the sink only to return to him moments later and told him I was ready to go.

The warm sun felt nice on my face as we walked through the courtyard. We went to the Nostrade's classy selection of cars, Kurapika pulling out the keys to a black Mercedes. I got in the passenger seat and he started the car.