Thirty-Five || Broken Lens

-Art by cats_artdiary on Instagram-

Sometimes I forget this is a Kurapika x Reader and get carried away with deeper meanings, foreshadowing and overall just the plot 💀 like yall came for a cute love story not for a fight scene with the pedo clown HUH LMAO

~

My heart felt like it was running a mile. Neon only watched in shock, hands clasped over her chest, as Hisoka used my distracted state to his advantage and flicked one of his playing cards enshrouded in Shu towards me. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to dodge it in time and it struck my torso.

Pain surged through me as I grunted to try to contain a painful scream. I didn't have to look to know his card cut me deep. My body hit the cold hard floor as I trembled in agony.

Hisoka didn't even offer a glance at me and instead kept his gaze on the defenseless young girl who stood frozen on top of the staircase. With me on the ground, he was capable of doing anything. But instead of acting he only stood there with a sinister expression and stared ahead, almost as if he was pondering how exactly he should end her life.

Tears pricked my eyes at that thought. I couldn't lose Neon, not now. She was too much like Enri. That child-like nature, her spoilt personality and immaturity- it was always a comfort to me. But it was also my job to protect her and it had been my job for a year now. If she died now how would I face my peers? How would I face myself? I'd rather die than watch an innocent girl be killed.

I forced my muscles to push myself up onto my elbows through the excruciating pain and once again aimed my Devil's Gun at the infamous Hunter. He noticed me but not fast enough to act before I pulled the trigger. I wish I could have seen the look on his face when I successfully shot him in the tibia.

When I was sure he was under my control, my body relaxed slightly. I heaved myself to my feet and stared at the clown in disgust. To think I nearly lost to him. I didn't issue any commands to him at that moment; my main concern was to make sure Neon was okay. Switching my gaze to the blue-haired girl, I smiled softly, "It's alright now, Neon. He can't do anything unless I say so."

The girl sighed weakly at my reassuring words and ran down the stairs, almost slipping as she went. She rushed over to me, calling my name with tears in her eyes. The poor girl was terrified. I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of guilt for disturbing her with this sight.

As I was about to say something, I was cut off by my own wincing. It appeared even moving an inch caused my wound to burn severely. I looked down to see the lower left side of my shirt completely torn off. The surrounding fabric was also stained with blood. "Look away, Neon." I told her. She didn't understand why but obeyed my order.

With a shaking hand and a deep breath, I reached deep into the gruesome mess of flesh and blood on my torso. If this was any other weapon, it would be best to leave it in the wound but seeing as it was a card enshrouded in Nen it could cause severe damage to my internal organs the longer it was left injected in me. The best case would be to remove it as quickly as possible to heighten chances of survival. My hand sunk worryingly deep into the cut before I got a hold of and yanked out the playing card which was now covered entirely in my blood. Neon turned her head when she heard the wet card slap onto the smooth ground and gasped at my state.

I wasn't able to support myself when I felt more blood speweing out of me and fell forward. Neon grabbed me and held me up, not caring that my blood was spreading onto her pretty night gown. She screamed and screamed my name but I only chose to ignore her. The pain in my body felt like hell but it was bearable. I reminded myself that I had been through much, much worse.