Thirteen || Just a Kid

I smiled weakly as I held the small phone to my ear. "Don't worry, Gon. We'll both be there."

"Great! I can't wait to- ehhh Killua! I'll get you back for that! Sorry, (Y/N), I'm gonna have to go now."

I chuckled as I heard the familiar giggle of a particular white haired boy over the line. "Don't worry about it. Take care of yourself, Leorio and Killua too. I'll see you guys soon."

"Yeah! And-"

"Hurry up, Gon!!" The call was cut off immediately after I heard Killua's irritated voice.

One again the bedroom filled with loud silence. Kurapika had been gone for hours. I'd been lying in my bed, holding my healing leg as I awaited for his return. I was anxious. What if he didn't come back?

Thank god for Gon's call, if he hadn't cheered me up I probably would have gone mad from the worrying. I never told Gon about Kurapika's fight. I didn't tell him about my injury either. I just kept quiet about everything negative and focused on telling him that we coincidentally ended up working a job together. He also talked for a while, telling me about his and Killua's quest to find Greed Island in addition to their training at Heaven's Arena. It was a pleasant conversation.

But alas, all good things had to come to an end because soon I found myself lying on my back staring at the ceiling of an incredibly lonely mansion as my head filled with thoughts of a man who I never realised mattered so much to me.

Suffering there, all I could think about was how important that boy was. I never really cared too much when he was away from me, I was always okay with it because I knew we'd see each other again. But this time I didn't have that reassurance. I had nothing.

It wasn't even that I only feared he would die or get hurt, I was also afraid of what he would do. I didn't want to think about it. Kurapika could change tonight. He may do something to that enemy which will change him forever; I wouldn't be able to handle that. God, please don't let him be someone else when he was away. Don't let him be someone I've never seen before. Don't let him have a change of personality other than the personality I know he has with us, with me.

Don't let me lose him. I knew I had no hold on him, nothing to offer, nothing to lure him by.

I was nothing. Just a kid.

But he meant everything to me in those moments. I wasn't prepared to lose another friend. What was I to do if he came home covered in blood? If he came home with incredible injuries? If he didn't come home at all?

How would I ever look at that stupid Sherman Monument in Hanmatten ever again without remembering that the reserved, intelligent, stubborn, beautiful boy who I grew attached to wasn't with me anymore. I wanted him back. I needed him back. Losing him now would be like losing a hand you could spot in every picture of yourself around the house, but without which you couldn't possibly be you again.

It felt like the comfort I received from talking with Gon all vanished in an instant after thoughts of Kurapika flooded my mind.

Another hour passed by. I didn't sleep, I couldn't sleep. My worry never decreased over. It was a miracle that my heart didn't immediately leap out of my body when I heard the faint shut of the Mansion's metal gate.

I threw the covers off of me and began limping towards the bedroom door, excited to finally see my friend. A door never felt so far in my life, my legs basically gave in by the time that I turned the door knob and swung the wooden bitch open.

Using the final ounce of my strength to open the door, I collapsed and fell forward into the arms of the boy who stood behind it. His embrace was warm and comforting. My arms flew to hug him back as he held me up. Gripping his clothes tightly in fists, I buried my face into his chest.

"Kurapika! God, I was so worried!" I practically screamed into him. He just stood there and held me close to him, his hand tracing up my back to my head where he patted my hair softly.

"It's okay. I'm okay." His voice felt like heaven. I was glad; so, so glad.

He didn't let go of me. I didn't want him to either. We just stood there, holding one another as we spoke. "What happened to him?" I knew he knew who I was referring to.

The boy stiffened at my question but relaxed right after. "Don't worry about it. He's gone now." I didn't question him any further and only focused on the fact that he was still here, in front of me.

Finally, he let go of me, looking around the room at my belongings. "Let's get your stuff. We're going to the hotel where the other bodyguards are." He said. I nodded and let him help me to gather my few items and take them to the car.

I didn't show it much afterwards but I was overjoyed by knowing he was back and unchanged. However, I didn't feel any less useless. I was still only a kid. A kid who knew nothing. I hoped to God that I meant something more to Kurapika than I did to myself.

~

Short chapter but whatever :I
I didn't want to add more because I feel like this was a reasonable place to end. That is all. Goodbye.