Twenty-Two || Soft Lips

-Art by ajkk on zerochan-

I groaned exceptionally loud as soon as I heard the gentle knocking on my door. Throwing the covers off me, I waddled over to the creaky door and opened it slightly to see a fully dressed Kurapika staring back at me.

His eyes trailed down to the unkept and somewhat revealing clothes that I slept in. Embrassed, I hid half of myself behind the door and was grateful when he didn't say anything except look away respectfully. "Good morning. Sorry, I thought you would have been awake by now." He mumbled, looking everywhere except at me. "I made some food for us."

"Thank you." I grumbled, more pissed off about having my sleep interrupted. "I'll be out in a second." I said, closing the door to get dressed.

I put on an off-the-shoulder dress. The outfit was tight but not too tight, the skirt ending at only my knees, which I'll admit, was a little short for my own comfort but the dress made up for it as it was a beautiful rose gold colour and had little strawberries imprinted onto it. I was given this dress as a gift many years ago, it was given to me on my sixteenth birthday by Kotori's mother.

Picking up my phone, I checked the time. It was past twelve o'clock, I would usually wake up on my own before this time but I suppose yesterday was very tiring. Kurapika and I strolled through the village again, just like the day before that and the day before that. Over our time here we pretty much covered the whole town, visited many people and old friends of mine, I even went to Enri's grave once more. And now, here we were, two weeks after our arrival, getting ready to share another morning together.

We would be leaving tomorrow. This was our last day in the village. I called Melody at one point, letting her know that we'd be back soon. She informed me on everything going on at the Nostrade estate; Neon still unable to use Nen, Basho working hard as the temporary head bodyguard, Light being incredibly busy, etc. The situation wasn't particularly good but not horrific either.

I told Kurapika this as we ate. He nodded understandingly as he took a bite from his quesadilla. He had made them, as stated before. Over our short break from work, I only ever tried his cooking a few times. When I spent the first few days locked in my room, he would deliver me a small meal everyday, sometimes I would eat, other times I would not. I was too upset to. "Sorry." I mumbled, looking down at the delicately made food on my plate.

"For what?" The man across me asked, voice muffled through his chewing.

I picked up my fork and poked at the contents of the plate. "You made food for me everyday, but I rarely ate and never thanked you. Sorry."

My depressing tone was interrupted when he began laughing. I looked up to see him shaking his head lightly, "Don't be sorry," He said. "You were going through a lot, I understand, and I don't hate you for it." Never once did Kurapika tear his gaze away from mine. We sat there, staring at each other for ages, neither speaking. I looked away, trying to stop myself from tearing up. Nobody had ever treated me with that sort of kindness before. I was touched.

And, for a moment, Leorio's words crossed my mind. I never forgot what he told me all those nights ago. The man almost convinced me that maybe Kurapika did hold the same feelings of admiration. But I shouldn't be thinking of things like that at the moment. Shaking the thoughts from my head, I smiled back at Kurapika.

Later that day, after we had finished eating and all, we left the cottage and went down the hill for our daily walk. Although, this time, we had gone out a little later than usual as I had woken up late. We never really had any destination in mind, it was always just casual chitchat between us as our legs guided us to wherever. This routine started after the day we visited multiple areas in the small town, we would leave after breakfast everyday and walk the same path, sometimes taking occasional detours and such.