Four || Hiders

-Art by huangdanlan on Twitter-

I strolled through the blimp, no clear destination in mind. My legs ached from all the activities we had to participate in so far; I was glad to have been given this short break while we flew to the site of the final stage.

I heard footsteps from up ahead. I looked up to see Gon walking in my direction. We locked eyes and I noticed his pupils fill with excitement as he jogged over to me. "(Y/N)!"

I smiled at the shorter boy, "Hey Gon, I was just taking a walk." He grinned and told me how he was on his way to his room to rest before we landed. He deserved it after successfully steal Hisoka's tag. I knew he could do it, I never once doubted it but I chose not to ask him about how he managed to even though I was curious. "Yeah, I'll see you."

He nodded and continued jogging away before he halted suddenly and turned to me again. "Kurapika is up ahead, he's by himself now so you should go talk to him!" Gon left in a flash after those words. I suppose I could go see Kurpika. I hadn't spoken to him in a while.

And surely enough, after walking a little more I saw him standing there, leaning against a railing as he stared down at the city below. I joined him, keeping a small distance between us. "Hey, Kurapika. We're on our way to the final stage. Wow, it feels so odd knowing that we're close to the end of the exam." I giggled as I stared through the window at the glistening body of water.

The boy nodded, "Yeah. I just spoke to Gon too that I'm glad we all made it this far." I studied each of his features carefully as he spoke. It was nice standing with Kurapika. Sure, the other three were also pleasant to be with but the atmosphere was always more calm when I was with this particular blonde.

I turned my eyes back to the view. "This scenery reminds me of a book I've read," I told him, "It's beautiful." I added, suddenly choosing not to bore him with the details of the book.

He only chuckled at my statement. "Do you really like to read that much?" I looked at him as if he asked me if I loved nature, or hot cocoa in the winter. "Don't get me wrong," he said. "I like to read too. But I don't tell just anyone." How odd, I thought.

I asked him why he didn't tell anyone. He replied saying he didn't know, which was just his way of asking for more time before answering. "People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who don't hide always like who they are."

"Do you hide?"

"Sometimes. Don't you?"

"Do I? I suppose." And then I found myself stumbling into a question I would never have asked otherwise. "Do you hide from me?"

"No, not from you. Or maybe, yes, a bit."

"Fair enough." I shrugged my shoulders with a small smile. There were things I hid from him too so it was understandable "Maybe someday we can reach a point where we don't need to hide anything from one another."

He nodded. "Yeah. Maybe."

~

The last stage could have had so many outcomes, the possibilities were endless. It could have gone any way but I never would have guessed for it to turn our the way it did.

It was just so sudden and unexpected to all of us when we stood there, staring in horror at the scene before us. Killua covered in blood. Bodoro laying lifelessly on the ground. The words Illumi spoke to Killua still lingering in our minds.

All of the events unraveled so fast that before I knew it I was standing alongside Gon, Kurapika and Leorio, promising Illumi that we were going to save Killua. The only information we managed to get out of the emotionless needle man was that Killua had likely gone back to his home in Kukuru mountain.