Twenty-Four || Snake

-Art by huangdanlan on Twitter-

~

With a swoop of my hand, I smacked the pen out of Basho's grip, sending it flying across the room. He stared at me and then at the ballpoint pen which now lay on the floor, now a great distance from us. "What the hell did you do that for?" He asked, irritated.

"I'm angry." I replied with furrowed eyebrows.

The older man sighed and rested his chin on his palm. "And you felt the need to express that by launching my pen across the room?"

"Sorry." I apologised, my tone showing no hint of being sorry at all.

I went to go get the pen that I had thrown and brought it back to Basho. Linssen, the only other person in the study, looked up from his laptop. "Is something the matter?" Asked Basho.

Looking away from the two men, I shrugged. "I'm bored. Bored and frustrated, Basho-san. Nothing interesting has happened for ages, I'm tired of staying in this mansion doing nothing!"

Linssen rolled his eyes and returned to typing away on his laptop. "Stop being ungrateful." He spoke quiet and fast, not once looking up from the screen. "Considering how dangerous this job actually is, we're lucky to remain unoccupied with anything practical." Basho nodded at the other man.

"He's right, kid. As much as I love punchin' and beating bad guys too, it's better that we don't have to. Right now our main priority is finding away to lift Neon's curse."

Basho's words only made me madder. "But we've been trying to find some way to lift Neon's curse since we came to Azia. It's December now!" I argued. I knew I was just being annoying, but I had been containing my frustration for so long that it spilled uncontrollably.

"Look, kid," Basho started, this time in a softer tone. "I get that you hate the way things are right now. I do too, but it's our job. Why don't you go see Kurapika? You two used to get a long."

"Used to." I  repeated. "Kuraika's really distant now. We're not that close anymore." It made me rather sad to think that we had drifted apart so easily over time, despite living in the same place.

Basho didn't take his eyes away from the paper he was writing on as he spoke to me, "Alright then, why not go out with that guy- uhh what's his name- Tomio?"

"Touma." I corrected.

"Yeah, that fella! He seems pretty interested in you, meet up with him."

"Well yeah but... I already told you that I-"

"That you blah, blah, blah. Quit making up excuses. Either go out with him for once or stop bothering us."

I sighed. Basho was right to some degree. I took out my phone as I went back to my room. Sitting on my double bed, I considered whether I should text him or not. After our first meeting, Touma and I would occasionally contact each other. By that I mean he would text me and I wouldn't reply until a few days later where I would give the most nonreactive response. He always messaged back within a day, sending at least one or two sentances on average. He was a nice guy, but I saw him more as a nice pass time.

It was only Basho who knew of Touma. I ended up spilling everything to him in early November after he saw some flirty notifications on my phone and interrogated me about it. I typed away on the digital keyboard and pressed send. After the text delivered, I dropped the phone and rolled over on the bed.

It wasn't long before I heard a ping. I reached for my phone once more to see the notification. It read:

That Annoying But Kinda Cute Guy From The Cafe: Of course, I'd love to meet with you once more, Lady (Y/N) :)