Nineteen || Letter

Being alone felt nice. I was never one to prefer isolation but for some reason, during this particular time, it felt good. Or maybe I was just fooling myself into believing that I liked being alone so that I can be convinced into thinking that loneliness isn't as fearful as I've always made it out to be. Why was I so hooked up on the idea of being alone, one may ask. Perhaps it was because now, more than ever, I felt alone. Not only physically, but emotionally too.

"Wake up."

My heavy eyelids opened to see a tall, pale boy looming over me. I wasn't asleep, or I didn't think I was. Although my body was hurting and tired, I don't remember falling asleep. But then again, the seats on this prestigious plane where incredibly comfortable, so soft that I probably had dozed off while lost in my thoughts.

I looked up at the boy with tired eyes as he stared down at me with his brown ones. My stare trailed down to the familiar packet he held in his right hand. A bag of lemon drop sweets. The exact same ones that I was eating the night before. "They're for you." He said as he held out the packet for me to take.

I didn't take it but only kept staring at him. "How..." I didn't have to finish my sentence because he understood and gave me an answer.

"I noticed an empty wrapper of these sweets on the floor this morning before we left. It was by your bed so I assumed it was yours. There was a packet of these being sold at one of the stalls in the airport so I bought it for you because I knew you liked them." He dropped the packet in my hands and moved to the seat next to me.

I mumbled a thank you as I gripped the green and yellow packet, moving around the sweets inside by stroking my thumb across the front. "You're unhappy." Kurapika noted.

"I'm fine." I smiled. Truth be told, I was tired and exhausted. The other night I had listened in on a conversation between Leorio and Kurapika where the two were discussing Kurapika's fondness for a particular girl. I was certain they were talking about me and that sent me over the moon. But later that night when I was alone in that bed, doubtful thoughts crept up the back of my neck and buried themselves into my cerebrum. Maybe they weren't talking about me after all? Maybe there really was somebody else in the blonde's life who he appreciated much more? And even if they were talking about me, what if it was only in the view of a friend and nothing more? I still had feelings for Kurapika- that part hadn't changed. And I know I should be nothing but happy about the fact he was speaking fondly of me but I couldn't help but wonder if it was in a sense of seeing me as a friend or a sister rather than romantically. After all, Kurapika was never the type of guy to be driven mad with desire, it all just seemed too far fetched at this point. And now I had to live with this constant dread everytime I interracted with him, which would be a lot seeing as we worked the same job.

He didn't say anything after that. I ripped open the packet and threw a lemon drop into my mouth. The sour sensation filled me with joy. Life wasn't too bad, I guess. Sure, he may not like m as I liked him but he still liked me enough to buy me treats. And then a daunting realisation fell upon me: did he see me as some sort of child? I sat there, sulking at the thought that I was viewed as nothing more than a kid. Kurapika was suprised at my sudden change of aura and asked what was wrong, to which I remained silent and continued to radiate my depressing energy.

Once the plane took off for flight, Melody, in the seat in front of us, started chatting to Kurapika and I. Basho joined in too, eventually and the rest of the flight was quite pleasant, actually. I didn't feel as horrible as I did that morning.

~

We arrived in the the Azian continent the next day. The particular city we were in was kind of close to my home village, actually.