Two || Crimson Globes

-Art by @S_IKZO on Twitter-

Four victories.
That's all we needed.
The juror who stood on the square platform gave a quick explanation on the rules for the trial and concluded by giving us a chance to choose which of us we were sending to face him first.

Silence settled among the group as they pondered over who should be the first to go. I looked up at the tall, muscular man. He looked strong and intimidating. But I could take him on. Taking my cloak and camera off, I threw them onto the floor behind me and took a step forward. "I'll go." I could feel the others stare at my back as I walked forward. I looked over my shoulder and offered a smile, "I'll beat him. Just watch." None of them said a word but only stared as I walked along the path to meet the man in the middle.

Anything was allowed, I remembered. I looked at the man intently, watching as his mouth twisted into a smirk. "Let's go!!" The words escaped his mouth as he charged towards me. In one swift movement I pulled out a single throwing knife from the belt around my waist and threw it at him as he approached me. He barely dodged the small weapon, his eyes glued onto it for a second. A second was all I needed. While he was distracted by my knife, I ran, as fast as lightning, closer to him where I forcefully kicked my foot into his torso, feeling the tip of my boot dig into his ribcage. I could hear him grunt as he moved backwards, his face filling with frustration before lunging at me once more. His arm reached out to grab me but he was too slow as I easily ducked before punching him in the same area where I had crushed his ribs earlier. He became paralysed for a moment and so I took the opportunity to swipe a foot under his feet which allowed for him to fall backwards with a thud.

There he lay below me, on his back as he held the side of his torso in pain. I pulled out another throwing knife from my belt and crouched down next to the pathetic jury, holding the knife against his throat with a satisfied smile. The man stared at me for a moment, a small chuckle finally surfacing from the pain. "You beat me. I'm surprised." He stared at the small weapon in my hand, "Why haven't you killed me yet?" I stood up and returned my knife to it's rightful place back onto the pocket attached to my belt.

"Because I don't need to." I answered simply. "You said we had to fight until death or a desertion of a fighter. I don't have any intention to kill you so consider this your desertion." I walked back to the group of boys, not even offering one last glance to my opponent behind me.

They stared at me in awe as I approached them, I could tell they hadn't expected a young girl like myself to have taken out such a large enemy within seconds. But now that I had shown a glimpse of what I can achieve, I was satisfied. "That was amazing, (Y/N)!" Gon chirped, his hands balled into little firsts as he stared at me in amazement. It was nothing, I said with a smile as I continued walking towards the wall behind him.

My gaze met with a familiar pair of wistfully ambitious grey eyes. Kurapika nodded at me with a ghost of a smile present on his lips as I passed him. I suddenly became flustered at the gesture of the clever boy but I refused to acknowledge the feeling, only giving him another nod in return.

While Gon began stating that he should be sent to face the next opponent, I went to picked up my small camera and draped it's strap over my shoulder like I had worn earlier as well as bringing my small cloak around my shoulders to clip it together. My cloak wasn't too long as it only ended below my chest but I wore it not for coverage but for the hood it provided; which happened to be convenient during the first few phases of the Exam where I wore the large hood to keep my face hidden. But I didn't need the hood now for these boys had seen my face. And, as surprising as it was to me, I was okay with that.

~

Like a ruby glistening under the touch of light. Like a rose that's newly sprung in early June. Like wine elegantly being poured into a crystal glass.