Fifteen || Ocean

I felt my toes sink into the sand with each step I took. I always loved the beach. All my memories of them were quite pleasant to say the least.

My younger self would never have thought that I would be walking on a beach in Yorknew city hours before a life-risking mission. But I wasn't alone for I was accompanied by the same person who I had been with for the past month.

It took some time to convince Kurapika to go out. He was stressed and anxious with the weight of planning the mission on his shoulders which was why I wanted him to relax for a bit.

It was after our group confirmed that we were all aboard the operation; Killua and Gon went out somewhere to discuss something, Leorio needed to sort out some things and Kurapika had completed all his phonecalls. The serious boy returned after finishing his duties with a glum expression. "Let's go to the beach", I told him. There was one not too far.

"What? Now? But, (Y/N), the-"

"The other three are occupied. They won't be back for a while which gives us some time."

"I can't." He sighed before looking away.

Disappointed, I looked at Kurapika with pleading eyes. "Dude, just come on! I know you're upset but this may just be our last night together, things may change soon."

"...I suppose. An excuse to get out of the city is an excuse to get out of the city." He finally gave in.

And that was how Kurapika and I ended up taking a walk through the deserted beach. I held my sandals in my hand, I loved the feeling of sand under my bare feet. Kurapika said I was weird for that but I didn't care. We walked slowly through the cold night. We were right by the sea, treading so close to the barrier between the sand and the water that I could feel small droplets of the ocean splashing on my ankles.

Kurapika stopped which made me halt too. He turned his body so that he was facing the moon which lay on the horizon. I had to admit, it was a beautiful view. The moon, so bright, so captivating. It never looked so big in my life. The water below only reflected the moonlight, making the whole sea look like it was sparkling. The only sound which could be heard was the relaxing sloshing of the waves.

Inhaling the scent of salt water and vanilla musk, I turned to the boy next to me. He had been awfully quiet.

He was, much like I was seconds ago, staring at the ocean. But his eyes, oh those gorgeous eyes, were filled with so much emotion. I was never good at reading his expressions but for once I could identify what he was feeling. I wanted to reach out to him, hold him, tell him everything would turn out just fine. But I didn't.

I couldn't. Because God only knows how I fail at doing what my heart tells me. I was afraid. I am afraid of nothing, so why was I frightened? Why? Because everything scares me, because both fear and desire are busy equivocating with each other, with me, I can't even tell the difference between wanting him to notice me staring at him and hoping he hadn't realised.

My eyes trailed over his delicate figure. This was my moment in heaven and, as young as I was, I knew it wouldn't last and that I should at least enjoy it for what it was rather than ruin it with all my anxious thoughts.

But I couldn't help but feel a haunting pain strike me as I watched his chest rise and fall with each breath he took while he stared at the blinding moon. There. I felt it again. That same feeling which would attack my heart everytime he did something which made me nervous.

But he hadn't done anything, didn't even speak. So why? Why did I feel like my chest was about to explode at that moment?

Bewitching. So, so bewitching he was. The way the waistband of his petticoat hugged his waist tightly, the way his ruby earring would move in the direction of the wind, the way his eyes held the gaze of a man who had experienced so much- whether they were grey, brown or red. It felt like I was seeing him for the first time, observing every detail about him.