Twenty-Seven || Anything

-Art by lychlaonly on Reddit-

An eerie noise ringed in my ears. My breathing was heavy and everything hurt. After a few moments, my senses came back to me. The strong smell of blood hit me like a bus, filling my nostrils and making me gag. The ringing was replaced by silence and distant footsteps. I tried to open my eyes but the movement brought me tremendous pain, so much pain, pain with a knife lodged into it. I couldn't see at all. What happened?

I forced my arm to push through and travel to my face where I could feel what was wrong with my eyes. I gritted my teeth as I felt shards of glass sticking out of my eyelids. And then it came back to me. The last conscious bodyguard missed me and instead shot at the vase which smashed and sent it's broken pieces into my face. This would have ended perfectly if that never happened. But alas, I was left blinded and alone with the eyes in my possession but no way to escape while my entire being felt like it was decomposing on the spot.

This was the most pain I had ever experienced, it hurt like hell. I wanted to give up and let myself bleed to death if that was the only way to put an end to this agony. Not only my eyes which burned for relief, but my entire body that felt like it was crumbling from exhaustion. Despite this, I pushed myself off the floor. The mission wasn't over.

It was only a matter of time before their back up arrived, I had to get out. Slowly, I reached out to a nearby pillar to support my trembling legs, the putrid stench of blood almost having me throwing up as I attempted to compose myself. Since I was unable to open my eyes, I used En to sense every object which surrounded me and allowed for my En to guide me across the hall, limping as I walked.

I carefully dragged my body through the building until I felt a cold wind hit my face. It was faint, but I knew that the temperature had changed meaning a window was nearby. I walked closer to the colder area, gripping the jar of eyes tightly in my hand and putting my revolver back into the coat pocket.

With the help of my En, I was able to locate and identify the window and the room I entered. It was a meter high and had a width of half a meter so I knew that I would be able to fit through it. "Melody!" I screamed. "I'm escaping through the window on the second floor, the one in the dining room!" I didn't even know if she was in the area, there were no signs that any of my friends were here at all but despite that I just hoped that they were. If Melody was here then there was no doubt that my message reached her sensitive ears. In reality, I was just relying on her to have heard me.

I inched towards the open window, stopping when I felt the windowsill and the walls with one hand whilst the other held the jar of eyes close to my chest.

"(Y/N)!" A distant voice called from outside. It was Kurapika, meaning my message had reached Melody which led her to inform the others of my location. By the sound of it, Kurapika was standing on the ground, directly below the window. However, the volume of his voice suggested that there was a great distance from me and him, meaning it was a big drop. "Quickly, jump!"

Sitting on the window ledge, I could feel the cold wind slapping my face. My heart quickened at the fear that built up inside of me. I couldn't see anything but could only feel as my bare feet were dangling off the ledge. Suddenly I heard rushing footsteps behind me and then stop. I turned my body to the doorway as if it would help me to see who had entered the room.

I knew who it was from the way they were panting. I couldn't see the expression on his face but I could only imagine how hurt he looked. "Why?" Touma asked quietly. "(Y/N), please... tell me this is all just some kind of joke. Tell me that you didn't gain my trust just so you could steal the scarlet eyes."