Thirty-Four || Purple Corset

-Art by huangdanlan on Twitter-

This chapter is NOT based off a spoiler; it is more like a popular theory? Explanation at the end of the chapter.

~

Click, click, click.

It was all I heard for hours and all I would be listening to for at least ten more.

I was tired, thirsty and frustrated. Almost out of impulse, my fingers lifted themselves off the keyboard after an entire day of non-stop typing. My shoulders relaxed and it was almost painful after tensing them for so long.

"I can't do this anymore." I whisper to myself, followed by a deep sigh. The hand mirror on my desk next to the laptop caught me eye and I lifted it slightly to see my reflection. I looked exhausted. Dark circles hung under my eyes and my face looked a lot slimmer. I hadn't been taking care of myself and it was beginning to show. If Kurapika saw me like this, he'd be worried.

But as of right now, that wouldn't be the case. Because a week ago he'd taken a few men along with him on an operation regarding the mafia community. Normally one would think that the boss would just let their members deal with physical fights but that was not the case with Kurapika for he took responsibility and would assist his men.

The reason that I never went along was because I was to help the team from home by using technology and drones to monitor enemy positions and report back to them via phonecall. Unfortunately, some days into the mission the connection was lost, I assumed this was the work of some sort of hacker from the enemy clan that found out about our plan.

Despite being unable to communicate with them, I had no doubts that we would win in this fight for I had complete faith in Kurapika and his subordinates. However, this didn't mean I wasn't doing everything in my power to get back access to them. I had been coding away on this laptop for days now trying to break the lock the hacker had placed. Whoever they were were very experienced in this field because I found great difficulty in doing so.

Technology was never my strong point but even I could identify my own skills and admit that I was aware that I had a better understanding than the average person due to my intellect. But no amount of knowledge could overthrow experience. It was obvious the person I was up against was a professional.

Sighing, I leaned back in my chair. I couldn't remember the last time I slept. There was a point earlier in the week where I somehow dozed off while waiting for a coding application to download, during those two to three minutes I fell asleep but only to jolt awake half an hour later to the ping of approval from the laptop to announce the download was successful. That was most likely the last time I was able to rest.

It was almost as if my body was decomposing at this point. I looked at the time. Four thirty-five in the morning. Time flies when you're doing mafia work, I thought.

For once in a long time, I stood up, legs aching, and limped across the room to my side table where I kept an almost-empty bottle of water. For some reason I felt even more tired after drinking the rest. I knew that if I only sat back down I'd end up falling asleep. I needed a breather. Somewhere outside of this stuffy room.

My gaze fell on a particular camera laying on my bed. I contemplated before deciding that I should. So I did. I took the camera and wore it's strap around my neck. I thought that it would be nice if I were to bring my camera with me on my small break. Considering that I'd be back within twenty minutes, I left everything else as is and exited the room.