Eight || Yorknew City

-Fanart by @Hong_3740 on Reddit-

- I spent an embarrassing amount of time searching for what a gun's sheath was called. But yeah I decided to gift reader with one of them instead of just keeping her gun in her bag, it would be really inconvenient for her. I want her to keep the gun with her at all times like how Illumi always had his needles with him and Shalnark too with his remote. That is all. Thank you. -

"Severed ear of a fairy." I was the last to present a little box to the tall raven haired man who I met in person for the first time. Two women approached Melody, Baise, Basho, Kurapika and I. They took the items out of our hands and left to place them somewhere else.

The man flopped back down onto his armchair with a smirk. "Alright. All five of you now are formally hired. I'm the leader of the bodyguards, Dalzollene. It's nice to meet you." Dalzollene began giving us a quick rundown of our first mission: to protect the boss any way we could.

We were taking the boss to Yorknew City, he said. I looked at Kurapika while Dalzollene continued speaking. He looked so composed, so focused; I wondered what went on in that head of his. The boy's eyes suddenly met with mine after I had been staring for so long. Faced with an overwhelming feeling of embarrassment, I turned my face away abruptly, fearing his judgement. I was staring at Kurapika. And he caught me.

The room felt so much hotter as the leader of the bodyguard unit waffled on. My face wouldn't stop heating up as I felt the Kurta's gaze burning through the back of my head ever since we made eye-contact. I could imagine the look on his face, so nonchalant and unreadable, probably overthinking every little detail as to why I turned my head to him.

Standing up, Dalzollene said he'd take us to meet the boss. The five of us followed him through the halls of the never ending mansion. Me nor my blonde friend said anything to the another, let alone walk beside them. But I was okay with it for I knew that I would end up being a sputtering mess if he made the effort to ask about our awkward interaction earlier.

~

Boredom. It was all I ever felt since I entered that damned plane. It was a pleasant flight, however. The private jet was very luxurious and there was a lot of space. The silence (other than the low humming of the wind) made the experience even more peaceful, in addition to the scent of lavender present throughout the spacious vehicle.

I was very happy for the first few hours of the flight, paying no mind as I sunk into the comfortable warm seat while staring at the city below. But after ten hours it became somewhat dreadful. It was too silent.

It was only us bodyguards in the vicinity, save for Dalzollene and Neon who were in separate rooms, and despite being comfortable with everyone I still sat alone. It wasn't that I voluntarily chose to sit by myself because when I had entered the plane everybody had already chosen to space themselves out and sit separately, I only followed what they did.

Sighing, I knelt on my seat, peaking over the backrest of the chair and looked at what everyone occupied themselves with. Melody sat, eyes closed, near the back of the plane on a double seat. Her dusty brown hat placed on the seat next to her as she listened to the music playing in her earphones instead. I gathered that she was likely listening to classical music from the content expression on her face. Next my eyes drifted to Basho who was manspreading in his sleep. It was very intimidating, watching him take up so much space even when asleep. It confused me to see how comfortable he could be from sleeping in that sitting position. On the other hand, Baise restricted herself to only one chair as she pampered her face with foundation while staring at her little pocket mirror to make sure she was applying it right. I mentally questioned why she chose to still accentuate her appearance when she was already beautiful enough. And lastly, Kurapika, who sat farthest away from anyone. He looked so lost in thought with his head resting against the window, eyes glazed over like someone who had been daydreaming for decades.