✹nine✹

Gods how long did a marriage ceremony have to take? They had to have been standing there for hours watching the high Septon spitting out words of thanks to the seven and giving blessings to Elia and Rhaegar. Rhena was discreetly shifting from one foot to another, relieving the pressure on the ball of her feet each time. When her mother noticed, for she was standing right next to her, the Queen gave her daughter a fond smile and shook her head in amusement.

Jaime was standing a few people over to her left, silently watching the two royals standing front and center. He was stunning. The morning hue of the sunrise fell upon his hair and the strands glittered like thin golden strings. He wore a robe of red and gold, as was his colors and his eyes were a brighter shade of green from it. A pleasant smile rested on his face and he stood comfortable in black leather boots, a luxury that Rhena herself wasn't able to obtain. She smiled softly and twiddled with the ruby eye ring which he had given her the night before, finding comfort in the small moment of peace.

Her attention was drawn to Cersei who stood next to her twin with a stoic frown on her face. Of course she was feeling the small bite of shame; that was supposed to be her up there with Rhaegar, but since her father hadn't secured the marriage sooner, she had lost all claim to the throne. Not even a week after her betrothal had been brushed off, the announcement of Rhaegar and Elia came to Casterly Rock. She had shut herself in her room, anger bubbling at her loss of power and only Jaime had been allowed to enter, feeding her words of comfort and support. She was the gossip of the court for the next month or so...the lion who had tried and failed to catch the dragon.

The Lannister girl was in a silver dress with gold and red accents sewn in. The lion necklace which she wore around her neck was monstrous with three ornate lion heads snarling menacingly at any who looked her way. The woman's hair was tied up in a loose braided bun, one of Rhena's favorite hairstyles which was quickly circulating around court. She looked beautiful, and she held herself with pride. Something that Rhena found impressive with the circumstances.

Rhena realized that she had been spacing off when the crowd erupted around her and cheering. When the girl looked back up to the front, she saw Elia and Rhaegar pulling away from a kiss, one full of, well, nothing. As Elia pointed out, she was not loved next, nor would she love. Probably not for a long time. And Rhena knew Rhaegar, he would not so easily give this woman his heart, purely in spite of their father and his demand for him to marry.

Elia and Rhaegar locked arms and walked back down to the doors where the crowd would be waiting to see their new princess made official. They would stand and wave for about ten seconds before climbing back into the carriage which Rhena and Elia had arrived in. Rhena herself was to travel with the Lannisters at Tywin's request, Jaime's joy, Tyrion's surprise, and Cersei's disappointment. There was really no point in trying to keep her and Jaime's engagement a secret now, practically half the court knew. And when the court knows, everyone knows.

Jaime was before her in an instant, arm held out as if in invitation and Rhena took it. They both walked up to her father who was standing next to her mother and bowed respectfully. The old king paid no mind to the two and waved them off quickly, trying to keep up with the conversation that he had engaged with the Queen of Thorns next to him. Rhena had spoken to the aging woman before and found some comfort in the woman's words. She was a thorn no doubt about it, no petals, just thorns. She had a sharp tongue and a fast wit, one not easily dulled with age. Rhena was reminded of Tywin strongly if ever she had a discussion with her. Olenna Tyrell regarded the two with slight interest, only the type where she was evaluating whether or not they could be of use to her, and then nodded, returning to the conversation.

Jaime led her away from the group and to his father and siblings. The four were waiting with stone cold expressions, matching green eyes blazing in the rising sun and hair glinting in the light. Looking quite comical since they all shared the same version of one face, passed down generation to generation. Well except for Tyrion who's face was bent into some other shape that was hard to be recognized as a Lannister. Usually only his height, eyes, and bright blonde hair were the things that people used to mark him down with his family name, for what other dwarf was there in court but the 'Lannister Monkey' as many have taken to calling him.

Rhena smiled brightly as her and Jaime bowed to Lord Tywin who held out his arm to her. "Come, walk with me my dear." He said, looping their arms together and leaving the rest of his family in the dust, making his way to the great doors. Rhena looked back at Jaime but Tywin simply turned her back towards him and patted her hand. "You'll see him back at the Red Keep. You and I have some things to discuss." She nodded obediently and smiled politely at the passing guests who watched the two like hawks.

"What is it that you wish to discuss with me my lord?" She asked sweetly, keeping up her look of the fawning princess who had no backbone. It was her armor in court. By pretending that she had none, people poured out their secrets to her, thinking that she wouldn't understand. Oh how wrong they were. Her and the master of spies had a very close relationship overseeing the happenings of the kingdom due to this fact.

The lord next to her had no need to pretend, his armor was steel and no one had pierced it, though many had tried. Those who knew him knew perfectly well not to mess with the old lion, in fear of the whole of Casterly Rock falling down upon them. "I was wishing to talk of Lady Lyanna." Rhena nodded in understanding. "What progress have you made?" Rhena snuck a glance at the Lady of Winterfell who was happily chatting among the lords and ladies around her. She also didn't fail to notice at least one of her brothers was always close by.

"Lyanna Stark," She started, losing herself in the memories. "I think that I might actually enjoy her company. The girl likes the simple things, riding on horseback, spending time with her brothers and father, a simple soul who likes to laugh." Tywin nodded.

"So she'll be easy to use." It wasn't a question, he was assuming. Assuming that Lyanna Stark was a girl who was easily manipulated, a girl with no brain or ideas. Although Rhena was slightly offended that Tywin would think so about any women, but this was the world of man, this was a world where the men were in charge.

Instead she simply shook her head and gripped his arm tightly. "You underestimate her Lord Tywin." Rhena said. She lifted a delicate hand to block the sun that was now shining in her eyes as they made their way outside and took a moment to admire the sunrise, the soft hues of morning light, the reds and oranges that lit up the sky. "She may enjoy the things of simplicity, but she is not of a simple mind. She knows how to maneuver in court, though she may not know it yet, and the ice of the north is frozen in her veins. Lyanna is not one to be manipulated." Rhena said her speech with confidence but Tywin merely laughed and shook his head.

"Anyone can be manipulated, my dear." He said with a chuckle. "One must simply know them well enough to manipulate." Rhena raised her eyebrow and nodded. This was, as most things the lord said, true. No matter the person, no matter their strenght, they could always be manipulated. The mind was a curious thing, and there were determined people out there who knew the mind.

"I suppose that is true, but Lyanna will not be as easily caught as you think." Tywin nodded in understanding and signaled to the boy who was assigned to the Lannister carriage to open the door. He shook his head in annoyance for having to tell the boy what to do, though it was not as extreme that it would be if Tywin were to open the door himself. Rhena detached her arm from his and allowed him to help her into the carriage, grateful to be off of her feet for the first time in four hours.

Cersei was right behind her and sat across from Rhena, not saying a word and staring menacingly out onto the street, followed by her father who hadn't bothered to help Tyrion into the carriage and instead took a seat next to his daughter. Jaime sighed in frustration at his father's actions and lifted his small brother from the stone pathway into Rhena's open arms. The boy smiled and laughed when the princess tickled his sides, drawing glares from his father and sister and a soft smile from Jaime who had taken a seat next to Rhena.

The knight took his lady's hand in his own and squeezed softly, twiddling with the ring that he had given her the night before. They both sighed contentedly and focused their attention on his younger brother who was telling the princess about a new book that he had found in the library and how he had stolen pastries the night before from the kitchens. The two smiled as Rhena combed through the boy's hair, smoothing out any tangles. She placed a kiss on his head and brought him closer to her, so that the small thing was practically on her lap and closed her eyes in happiness.

For a moment, Jaime forgot that Tyrion was his brother, and imagined a little boy with white silver hair and green eyes with fair skin and a darling smile. For a moment, he imagined a life with Rhena and their children, and for a moment, he was more happy than he had ever been in his entire life.