✹forty seven✹

╣there was nothing she hated more than a man whose ego outweighed his worth╠

"When is your southern king leaving? Is that fancy letter about him?" Ygritte was growing impatient with her days. The men of the Night's Watch did not allow anyone beyond the wall. Not with the imposing threat of the walking dead.

'You wanted on this side of the wall,' Alliser Thorne would say, 'On this side you will stay.'

His support within the Night's Watch was waning. It had been Jon Snow, not Alliser Thorne, who had protected them through the attack of the wildlings. It was Jon Snow, not Alliser Thorne who created peace between the Free Folk and the North.

"He's not my king. I have no king." Jon often reminded her.

"And yet you call him, your grace, and stand when he enters a room."

Jon would reply, "Because he could remove my head from my shoulders if I did not."

Ygritte was allowed to hunt as long as she was not stealing from Northern settlements and farms. She was allowed freedom, as long as she did not disobey any of the crow's laws. Life out of chains was infuriating.

Jon sighed and set down a scroll of paper. It was marked by a wolf on silver wax. Often Jon received ravens from his half brother who resided in Winterfell's halls. The war had left no time for communication and brotherly ties were left cold. However, when Robb surrendered and returned to the North, he made sure correspondence was seldom forgotten between him and his bastard brother.

"No." He said softly. "It's about my sisters."

"They're not dead are they?" Death had become a common bird upon their shoulders. "Your family drops like flies." It was not meant as an insult, and Jon had to take it with a grain of salt. The statement was true. If his family was not dead, they were in captivity in some palace or dungeon. Prisoners of war, they were called.

"For one of them, death would be a kinder fate." He thought back to his darling sister's wild spirit and her longing for freedom. "Arya has been married to the crown prince. She is stuck in the capital with the Lannisters for good." He spat out the words as if they tasted foul in his mouth. If he were not lord commander and so oath-bound, he would have cut down every Lannister to get Arya back.

"So now she's royalty." Jon hummed. "Do any of your women have a choice in their lives?"

Jon frowned at the statement. He thought of Lady Catelyn who was married to his father after her true betrothed died by Aerys' hand. He thought of sweet Sansa who was tied to Tywin Lannister's lesser son, destined to forever hold the Lannister name behind hers. He thought of the dowager queen Cersei, whose husband obsessed over a dead girl till the day he died. He thought of Daenerys Targaryen across the sea, sold to a man by her brother.