✹twenty two✹

╣and then he was gone a mere memory of what used to be╠

Rhena didn't sleep that night. Jaime never came back and she guessed that the past night was the last that they would ever share a bed. Not only that, but she would hardly see him in the flesh once the tournament was over. Rhena would return to Casterly Rock with the Lannister party and Jaime would return to King's Landing with the Targaryens.

Rhaegar and her mother had both come to see her at different times throughout the night and Rhaella was now sleeping on Jaime's side, hand resting over her growing belly.

"Please live." Rhena had whispered softly to her unborn sibling, unaware of the troubles of life. "I can't bear another loss."

The sun rose Rhaella from her sleep and brought Tywin to her door. The Queen and the former hand exchanged quiet words that Rhena could not make out which ended with Tywin's entrance and Rhaella's departure.

"Stay strong my love." She had whispered to her only daughter before leaving. "The gods shall guide your path."

Rhena stared blankly back up at her mother and replied, "I don't know if I believe in the gods anymore."

Tywin placed a weathered hand on her shoulder, callused by the sword and the quill. "You and I find each other much in the same state of thought." Rhena let herself relax under his hand and sighed. Tywin Lannister could reduce mountains to sand with words, and he could build courage with actions. Rhena found her strength in his words and the hand on her shoulder and sat up on her bed just a bit taller. "Get yourself dressed." Tywin said as he pulled away. "King Aerys has allowed you to come watch your brother joust. Rhaegar was able to convince him of that at least. We'll ride to Casterly Rock by the night."

"So soon?" Rhena asked, mind finally clear of grief. "I would have thought we would stay till the end."

Tywin's face was still as stone as he walked to the window which looked over the entire keep and the flat lands beyond. "Not after this offence. We will return to The Rock and wait out the storm."

Rhena stood. "The storm? Forgive me, I don't follow."

"There is something brewing out there in the roots of the mountains and the wisps of the clouds." Rhena was listening intently. Not often did Tywin Lannister speak so poetically. "The Seven Kingdoms are growing restless." His sigh was heavy. "I don't know where we will fall in all of this."

Rhena took a brush to her hair and sat at her vanity. "This may be the first time that I've seen you unsure of something my lord." Rhena said softly. It was true. Tywin Lannister was a man of confidence, a man of certainties. The man in front of her was not.

"Which is why we are returning to Casterly Rock." He turned back and noticed the worried expression on his new heir's face. "I am as uncomfortable as you look my dear. I'd much rather have a solid plan, but this is the closest thing to one."