✹thirty one✹

╣born from lies and shadows╠

The furs which Rhena had been resting in for the past two months tangled around her legs as she woke from a restless sleep. The tent above her was lit blue by the early morning light. Rhena sighed in frustration at her loss of sleep.

Her eyes were heavy and she rolled over, trying to find more rest. She was found face to face with Callan, her now regular bed companion. His face looked less weathered in sleep than it did in the waking world. He looked almost young. Rhena reached out to brush a tendril of dark hair away from his face. Callan stirred but only enough to roll onto his other side away from her.

Rhena sighed and turned onto her back. A string from a traditional Dothraki blanket tickled her chin when she pulled the covers further up her body and Rhena toyed with it in annoyance. She was easy to anger lately. Everything was piling up and she was tiring of Vaes Dothrak. Drogo insisted that they stay, at least until the rest of the Khals had gathered. Daenerys agreed, saying that they would have a stronger force to move closer to Astapor and further, Meereen.

Growing bored in her soft bed, Rhena rose herself. A white tunic hung from her shoulders and lose breeches covered her legs. However, she longed for the light silks which she had worn in King's Landing and Casterly Rock.

Callan stirred again as she was pulling on her boots. He sat upright and gazed at the woman who drifted around the room. "You're up early." It was no secret to anyone that Rhena preferred the nights and rose late.

"I couldn't sleep." Rhena answered. "I feel-" she stopped and straightened from her bent position, testing the laces of her boots. "I don't know. Something's not right." Callan furrowed his brows and opened his mouth to offer sympathy. "I wish to leave." Rhena said before he could get anything out. "I think I will take my sons to Astapor. Will you come with us?"

"For what purpose?" Callan asked.

Rhena ran an ivory comb through her hair. Daenerys had given it to her as a gift after she had returned. "I hear there is a great host of soldiers there. Slaves. I wish to free them." Rhena's hands passed over the Lannister gold which rested on her table. The lions on each the ring and the necklace seemed to taunt her, laughing at her despair over their lord. The fact that they were Joanna's was the only thing which kept Rhena from casting them to the sea.

She shook the thoughts from her head and gathered her hair into sections to braid. "And how will you purchase this great host?" Callan asked, Reaching for his shirt which had been discarded the night before.

Rhena's fingers paused, tangled in her silver hair. "I'm still working on that."

Callan hummed and approached the entrance of the tent. "As soon as you figure it out, I'll be ready to follow you." Rhena nodded and watched through a clouded mirror as he walked out, most likely in search of food or water.