✹eighteen✹

The travel to King's Landing was, although long, enjoyable

The travel to King's Landing was, although long, enjoyable. Rhena spent her days on horseback, barely escaping the golden carriage that Genna Lannister had tried to force her in. She laughed and joked with the Lannister men who accompanied them. The lady had long ago gained the respect and the love of most of the commanders and their soldiers and was left with loyalty stronger than any king alive and dead. 

They had visited every one of Lord Tywin's banner men along the way, the only request of the liege lord if they were to make the journey. It nearly doubled their time, but Rhena was glad to see the lords sworn to her husband's house, happy to meet them and charm them for Tywin's gain. Loyalty was often one of the most important things to a Lord, and she knew Jaime would need it when Tywin passed.

The Lannister party was upon the gates of the Red Keep now and Rhena had to hold back a gag. She had forgotten how terrible her home had smelled. Even worse was the Keep itself, which was heavily scented with perfumes and candles of the lords and ladies who tried to cover up the stench. She wondered how she could even smell anything at all anymore after being subjected to such fetid odor since birth.

Jaime sat on his horse to her left and wore a black leather vest with a red shirt underneath, a way to honor his wife's family and Rhena was in her Lannister crimson, although her dragon tiara sat on her silver head. The party fell silent as the huge doors opened and Rhena's eyes instantly found her family's.

Her father stood at the head of the line draped in finery and jewels with a golden crown atop his head. Rhaella stood next to him, frail and beautiful in the afternoon light. The moment the queen's eyes met her daughter's, a smile broke out across her face, casting her in a more kind light. Rhaegar stood next to their mother, tall and proud and princely. His hair had grown longer and he kept it back in braids that twisted around his head. Viserys was next. Rhena was saddened at how big he had grown. Her darling boy was now past his mother's hip and stood stoic with the rest of their family.

Rhena's eyes were drawn next to Elia. Elia who was as beautiful as the day was long. Rhaenys stood on wobbly legs and her chubby hand was clutched in her mother's who was also cradling her large belly. She had to be due any day now. Rhena had lost track over how much time had passed on the road. Cersei and Tywin were standing in the crowd as well and their golden sercoats stuck out in the crowd.

Jaime dismounted first then moved to help his wife. Though they both knew that she didn't need any help with a horse, they kept up their appearances. Rhena would have to retreat into herself once again. She had been free at Casterly Rock. There was no court, no secrets. Just the kind people of the household and other Lannister relatives. Here there were secrets and there was a court in which everyone would fight to climb higher.

Rhena had somehow evaded any efforts in wearing a dress. She had wanted to look presentable however, so she wore red pants and a white vest though over, and a mesh cloak made of the thinnest fabrics possible rested on her shoulders. She was a sight to behold. Strong and beautiful and young and carefree.