✹twenty nine✹

╣is it true that grandfather went mad? truly mad?╠

Ned woke to the sound of gulls and the smell of salt. He blinked back weariness and tried to adjust to the sun above him. The first thing he saw, once his vision returned to him, was a large white sail which hung from a large, leaning mast. He grunted as he tried to sit up but was held down by a man whom he did not recognize.

"Calm yourself Lord Stark." The man whispered. "I've been charged to care for you."

Ned's stomach rolled as he realized that the boat was on open water, no land to be seen for miles. "Charged by who? How am I alive?" He asked, once he could see past the white light of the sun above him.

"Lord Varys the Spider. He drugged your wine during your last night in the Black Cells and switched you with a man of your features. The man was executed and you were given to me, sorry fucker." The man's accent was peculiar, one which the northern lord couldn't place. "He instructed me to take you across the narrow sea."

Ned's stomach once again threatened to unload itself as the boat moved. "For what purpose?" He asked, mind struggling to come up with an answer himself.

The stranger only smiled before continuing. "He told me to take you to Rhena Targaryen."

That was the final blow and Ned's stomach emptied of whatever stale bread he was fed during his captivity. Not Rhena. She was dead. Gone like Lyanna and any sliver of the past life which he had led before the rebellion. "Rhena's alive?" He finally asked, still not fully comprehending the events which had taken place.

"Very much so milord." The man answered. "Along with her two sons and sister." Two sons. That meant that she had born twins to Jaime Lannister. That meant that Jaime was dishonoring his wife by lying with his sister. Hopefully these sons were far more agreeable than the king which Jaime had fathered. "Lord Varys is certain that she and Daenerys will take back the continent like their forebears before them."

"I did not think that Varys would easily give information to someone. His loyalties are not likely shared." Varys was a careful man, a clever man. Ned found it hard to believe that he would so openly imply that he was a Targaryen supporter.

"No milord, but he will when he needs to." The man handed Ned a thick scroll with a spider seal. "Everything which you need to know is in this." The man patted Ned's back before leaving him to Varys' words.

It took everything in Ned to not rip the scroll open right then. But information like that shouldn't be read openly on a boat filled with men who had their own agendas.

So Ned sat there, small as he had ever been, and prayed for his wife and children and for a steady journey across the sea.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵