Chapter Eight and a Half

The rest of the two weeks flew by as day after day you'd meet up for training with Todoroki and Bakugou. It was finally the last day of training, luckily yours and Todoroki's will be shortened today as Fuyumi requests to have all of you sit down for an early dinner.
You and Todoroki lay on the grass, tired and out of breath, the two of you look up at the orange and pink sky. This became a little post practice tradition for you two, oftentimes you'd fall into philosophical conversations about the world's mysteries. One time these moments with Todoroki made you lose track of timing and arrive late to training with Bakugou, which of course resulted in a rough practice. Today was your final day to finally summon your fire quirk before the UA Sports Festival.
The grass rustles as Todoroki turns his head to face you, "What're you thinking about?"
You sigh, looking back at him, "I don't know why I can't seem to summon it, Shoto."
He offers a soft smile, saying your name quietly, "You're powerful even without your fire quirk. You've really grown these past couple weeks and have helped me learn new combat and quirk techniques. I'm glad I got to train with you, thank you."
You smile back at him, "No, thank you. You were the one who offered. Which still surprises me to this day. But I'm glad I took up your offer." You reach over and lightly punch him on the shoulder.
He laughs lightly, "Me too."
"Dinner's ready, you two!" Fuyumi calls, sliding the door open.
Todoroki starts to get up, only you push him down and start running to the door.
He thinks much faster, grabbing your ankle and running past you.
From the ground you frown, "I really need to start remembering about my feet."
Todoroki laughs, "You just realized this?"
You laugh sarcastically, "Ha ha. Whatever."
Fuyumi laughs and pats your head as the two of you walk into the house.
You sit and thank Fuyumi for the food.
The three of you engage in conversation about the Sports Festival starting off tomorrow. Fuyumi gives a little speech about how we should be careful and to watch over and be supportive of each other.
Todoroki and you share a look of "we know, we know."
Todoroki speaks up, "If we were to have to fight one-on-one, the festival would never end."
You laugh, "Seriously. They'd have to find some other way to decide who moves on."
Fuyumi smiles at the two of you, she was really happy seeing Todoroki in a new light.
"Well for the audience's sake, I hope that you two won't be put against each other." She says.
"Agreed." You and Todoroki say.
After a while of laughing and talking with the two Todoroki's, you check the time and your stomach drops.
Todoroki looks over at you with a slightly concerned expression, "Are you sick?"
You shake your head, "Oh, no,no. I'm okay, I'm just really late."
Todoroki nods, "I'll walk you home? I can explain to your dad, if you'd like?"
You shake your head again, "Thank you, really. But it's alright. I should get going soon."
You walk into the kitchen where Fuyumi was washing plates, and bow your head slightly, "Thank you for dinner, it was really good."
She smiles down at you pulling you into a tight hug, "I'm glad you liked it! Please come back around. I know you don't need to train with Shoto anymore, but know you are always welcome."
You smile at her, "Thank you."
She lets go of you and you walk over to the door where Todoroki stands, waiting.
"Please hurry home before it gets dark." He says.
"I will, thanks, Shoto." You say giving him a little smile before stepping outside.
He smiles and closes the door.
Fuyumi waits in the hallway and Todoroki walks to his room.
"She's a good kid. Strong too." She says.
Todoroki nods his head, "Don't you feel like you've met her before?"
Fuyumi frowns, "No. I don't think I have."

Bakugou stares at the clock. 6 o'clock. He frowns and impatiently gets up from the couch, making his way out the door.
'This is the third damn time she's late.' He thinks to himself as he stops to kick the ground.
After two weeks of walking her home, Bakugou has subconsciously memorized the path to her house.
"Damn, fireless. Wasting my time." He says under his breath. After a few minutes of walking, he turns the final familiar corner, the big house coming into view.
Bakugou opens the gate and walks up to the door.
'What the hell am I doing?' He thinks angrily.
Before he makes the decision to turn back around, Bakugou quickly hits the doorbell.
Aizawa was barely drifting off to sleep when he heard the doorbell ring. He gets up, checking the security footage to see his angry student waiting behind the door.
The door opens and Bakugou truly dreads having made the decision to come here. Hoping it would be you and not his teacher opening the door, he awkwardly stuffs his hands in his pockets.
Aizawa's tired eyes find Bakugou's, "What can I help you with Bakugou?"
He frowns, "I just came here to get her, I guess, since she can't seem to meet up on time herself."
Aizawa raises an eyebrow, "She's probably still training with Todoroki."
Bakugou clenches his jaw, "She's- what? Since when?!?"
Aizawa sighs, 'I'm going to get absolute hell for this, later. Why didn't the kid tell me Bakugou didn't know?'
Aizawa looks back down at Bakugou, "She's been training with both you and Todoroki everyday."
Bakugou balls up his fists and says a "thanks" as he walks away.
He stomps down the street angrily in the direction of his house, thinking, 'Why the hell am I so angry?!? Damn nerd, she was really training with that half and half bastard?!? Was I not g- NO! Hell no! What the hell! What's wrong with me?!? I shouldn't be this damn angry!'
He runs to the empty park where the two of you train and lets out all the rage he'd bottled up in front of Aizawa.
"SHE THINKS SHE CAN," Bakugou lets out a blast from his hand, "SHOW UP TIRED ALL THE DAMN TIME?!?" He throws explosion after explosion into the empty space in front of him. "Such a waste of MY time!!!"
The thought of you and Todoroki getting stronger while he trained with you in a tired state, makes his blood boil.
He lets out an angry shout and sends a huge blast into the open air, causing him to fall back.
He pants as he lets out a smirk, "Get ready for absolute hell, fireless. You want fire? I'll show you what goddamn fire can do."

You run and throw your bag down, seeing Bakugou already at the park, his back to you.
"I'm sorry I'm late again I was just-" You begin.
He turns, blasting you with strong explosions, one after the other. You manage to dodge and this time he doesn't give you a second to recover. The boy doesn't stop his attacks. You gulp slightly, sending a wave of water to put out his blasts. He doesn't tell you stop using your quirk, which throws you off. Instead, the boy looks at you with a scary smile, his quirk activating in his palms.
"Aren't you going to tell me not to use-" You try, only to get cut off by another round of his explosions.
The entire rest of the training practice Bakugou did not speak a word to you. He didn't get angry when you used your other quirks. He didn't give you a chance to catch your breath. He didn't tease you and call you "fireless". He was completely different today than before.
Knowing Bakugou, and his moods you decide not to ask about it. 'Not that he would've answered me anyway, since he's just been ignoring me.'
He walks a couple steps in front of you, refusing to be behind you even in his current state.
The two of you walk in silence back to your house.
'I feel like I should ask, just to make sure he's okay. But like I don't want to come off as if I'm in his business. I'm sure he wouldn't even let me know if something was wrong, anyway. But shouldn't I ask?'
Luckily you snap out of your thoughts, giving you enough time to avoid bumping right into him, as he stands in front of your house. You stand in silence as you slowly build the courage to say something.
"Hey, uh, Bakugou, are you-" You begin.
The angry blonde doesn't let you finish, walking away towards his house without a word.

You walk into your house slowly, taking in all of today's events, with a sigh. Aizawa looks up at you from the living room couch.
"Hey kid, how was the last day?" He asks.
"Uh interesting, to say the least." You reply, tiredly.
Midnight pops her head in, "I see. Interesting, and not in the good way."
You plop down on the couch next to you dad, as Midnight takes a seat next to you.
"I had dinner with Shoto and his sister so that was fun. We also ended our training on a good note. But I can't say the same for Bakugou. He seemed off today. He didn't speak one word, not ONE word, to me today." You explain.
Aizawa sighs, thinking, 'I'm going to let the two of them work it out. I shouldn't interfere. Communication is key as a hero. They'll figure it out.'
He speaks up, "With the Sports Festival looming over you two tomorrow, he probably took training a lot more seriously today."
Midnight nods her head, "Yeah, he's probably a little nervous...wait-" she stops, blinking, "Did you just say Shoto? As in first name? You're on a first name basis with little Todoroki?!? Do you think he's cute? I think you two would be cute together." Midnight practically swoons.
Aizawa gives Midnight his threatening glare.
You wave your hands in denial, "No no! Shoto and I are just friends, that's all really."
Midnight pouts her bottom lip, "Well, I'm glad you made another friend. If you ever need any love advice, don't forget you can talk to me." She adds a little wink.
Aizawa rolls his eyes, "Yes, because so many of your relationships have worked out."
You let out a little laugh.
Midnight stomps her foot, "Shota! I swear, I'm going to strangle you!"
He laughs a little.
"Thanks Midnight, but I think I'm okay for a good while."
The three of you talk and laugh a little more before Aizawa finally breaks the conversation.
"Alright kid, you gotta go rest, tomorrow's a big day."
You nod, yawning, "I'm excited! Good night dad, good night Aunt Midnight. Love you guys. Cmon Spooky!" You walk up the stairs, the little black cat following suit.
After getting ready for bed you throw the sheets above you and cuddle the sleepy little cat.
A soft knock, comes from your door.
"Come in." You say.
Your dad walks in with a little smile, sitting at the edge of your bed.
"I just wanted to check in. I know you were really trying to get your quirk before the festival, but sometimes things take time. And that's okay. Regardless of whether you have your fire quirk or not, you are still the same, very powerful you. I know this is a very dad thing to say, but you're really going to be the one to shine the brightest tomorrow, kid."
You smile up at your dad, "Thanks dad."
He stands up, leaning over to kiss the top of your head, "Now go to sleep so you can kick ass tomorrow."
You laugh, "Yes, sir!"
He walks out of your room, laughing.
You pet the top of the resting cat at your side, "Tomorrow's a big day for me Spooky."
She nuzzles her wet little nose into the palm of your hand and the two of you drift off into a deep sleep.
———————————————————————————
Happy Holidays everyone!!! I'm so excited to write the Sports Festival Arc! I really hope you all will enjoy it :)