Chapter Five

*Trigger Warning: mentions of blood and past trauma

"Did he just say real villains?" Uraraka asks nervously.
"Yes." You gulp down the growing tension in your throat.
Aizawa turns to Thirteen, "Get the students out of here."
Thirteen nods rushing the group to the nearest exit.
Your legs don't move from where they are.
Your dad faces you and gives you a little nod before jumping down the stairs to where the villains are standing.
You look at Thirteen and the class walking towards the exit, then back at your father landing in the middle of the criminals.
'He can handle himself. He can handle himself. He can handle himself.' You try to convince yourself. You take a step in the class's direction.

•••
Taking a deep breath, listening to the whispering wind and the trickling water, you sit by the window facing the garden.
"Yes, good, my child. Now dig deep into your soul and feel the earth beneath your feet. Let its vibrations extend from the ground and up through your body. Once you feel it, very gently shift your feet, stand solidly and lift the earth beneath you."
You focus on the rippling vibrations going through you and ready yourself in a balanced position, distributing your weight evenly between your feet. Slowly you inhale, bringing your arms up. Letting out a long exhale you push your arms down, in doing so the earth beneath your feet lifts you up. You open your eyes and look down, you see you're now standing on podiums of earth. You quickly look over at the old quirk master, standing there with a smile that reaches his sunken eyes. Pride written all over his face.
"You are a prodigy, my child."
You lower the earth beneath you, returning to its neutral level.
As fast as your little four year old legs could take you, you tackle the old man in a hug.
"Thank you, gramps."
He lets out a little laugh, "Me? You were the one who did it."
"You showed me how." You reply with a smile.
He smiles down at you. The smile of a proud mentor. But also that of the only caring figure in your life.
He pats you on the head, "Three elements down, one more to go."
You smile brightly at that, "I'm so excited to learn fire!"
"Of course you are, little firebird. But fire can be dangerous in the way you summon it. It is a very emotional element. Many see fire and think of anger. But I will not lead you down that path. You must fuel your fire with something greater than anger." Your teacher explains.
"Fear?" You ask, it was the strongest emotion you'd felt at the time.
He looks at you with sad eyes, "Love, my child. Love."
•••
You break out into a run. Running towards your father. Thirteen and a few other students call out your name, but you keep running. Once you reach the edge of the stairs you leap out, gliding on the air down to where Aizawa was handling the villains. Landing swiftly behind him, the two of you stand back to back as a circle of bad guys surround you.
"You're supposed to have left with the class." He says sternly.
"No way, I can't just stand by and let you take them on alone Dad."
A couple of the villains snicker and lunge towards the two of you.
You and your father dodge their attacks easily in a series of combinations you've grown familiar to, having been training with him since you were six.
You render the villains unconscious, hitting every one of them with your quirk as Aizawa deactivates theirs. Despite the circumstances, Aizawa smiles to himself, you'd grown immensely over the past few years. Time slows down as he sees the hero you'll one day become as you flip off the back of one villain, slicing your arm down and sending a powerful gust of wind to blow another one to the wall.
"Behind you!"
Your voice snaps Aizawa's attention back to the situation at hand. Quickly bending down, he takes hold of the villain's arm, using their own momentum to slam them down to the ground.
You'd both taken care of the bad guys surrounding you when your classmates' cries catch your attention.
The thick purple mist from earlier settled around them, swallowing them up.
"I blink once, and the seemingly most dangerous one gets past me." Aizawa mutters.
You two then see as many purple forms appear in the different zones, separating and scattering your classmates across the different simulations.
"They're splitting everyone up." You say to your father.
He frowns, "As long as they're in groups they'll be okay. These mediocre villains are just a distraction used to tire us out. Those are the ones we need to focus on. The leaders."
Aizawa points to a man dressed in black with hands gripping different parts of his body, accompanied by some sort of bird-like creature with its brain exposed.
"Alright, what's the plan?" You ask your dad seriously.
He shifts his gaze towards you, "The plan, is you join a group of the students. I'll handle those guys."
"No, dad I won't-" You start.
"You don't have a say in this. I can't risk you getting hurt or worse. You are strong and very brave, but use that to help your classmates. Let the pro-hero handle the leaders of this attack." He walks over and pats your head. "I'll see you after this is all over, okay?"
You put on a brave front for your father and nod curtly.