Chapter Nine

After having wandered the stadium, with all the time you had to spare from getting to the Festival Stadium early with your father, you finally decided to head over to the Class 1A waiting room. You walk in to see Mina, Kiri, Denki, Sero, and Bakugou already sitting at a table, an extra seat waiting for you.
You walk over and Mina tackles you with a quick hug, "Today's the day!"
Denki nods, "I can't believe it's already here."
Kirishima chimes in, "Those two weeks passed by so quickly."
Sero sighs, "Training was so tiring, not gonna lie."
Mina laughs, "Agreed," She turns to face you, "How about you, how did your training go?"
You fight the urge to look at Bakugou, "Oh, it was good."
Denki elbows Bakugou, "How about you Bakubro, how'd your training go? Did you train alone?"
Bakugou stands up from his chair, almost knocking it over, "I wish I had."
You watch as he exits the room, a tight feeling forming in your chest from his words.
Kirishima laughs, "He probably got stuck training with his mom or something."
Mina smiles, "Well, hopefully, we can all do our absolute best today!"
Sero chimes in, "Oh yeah! I'm using my quirk to its full potential!"
Denki raises a fist, "Hell yeah! So am I!"
"Yeah, and then short circuit and render yourself completely useless." Mina remarks with a little laugh.
'Full potential, huh?' A sudden wave of sadness washes over you. You dive into an ocean of self deprecating thoughts. 'I train and train and train, but even that's not enough. What if I never find it. What if for the rest of my life all I do is try, but it'll never be enough. I can't use my damn quirk. I made my training partner regret ever working with me. What the hell am I-'
A voice is heard over the room speaker, "Class 1A please make your way out to the stadium and stand respectfully where your class is assigned."
The students all start to rush, with a frantic Iida trying to get them all in single file lines. Mina grabs your arm, pulling you out of the room, "Let's go!"

You stand out in the stadium with the rest of your class, the sound of cheers surrounding you. Mina takes hold of your hand, "Sorry, I'm just a little nervous."
You smile at her, giving her hand a squeeze, "It's alright. You'll be great."
"And now, representing the students, is Bakugou Katsuki from class 1A!!" Your Aunt Midnight says from the stage.
Bakugou walks up onto the stage, the same bothered look on his face. He looks around at the sea of faces in front of him, spotting a certain dual haired boy. He holds his gaze for a moment as he says,  "I just wanna say that I'll be number one."
From next to you Kirishima says, "Why did I know he was going to say something like that."
Denki sighs, "Typical."
Sero adds in, "Good to know we'll have lots of targets on our backs."
Bakugou walks off the stage and stands in his previous spot amongst your classmates.
Midnight changes the subject quickly, by explaining the preliminary round, chosen by chance on the big screen behind her, "We're kicking off the UA Sports Festival with an Obstacle Race! You all will compete in a 4km race around the stadium. I'm not one to hold anyone back, so as long as you don't leave the course and stay on the track, you're free to do whatever your heart desires! Now go and take your places!"

The giant group of students crowd around the starting line where three lights are lit.
One goes out.
You take a deep breath.
The second light goes out.
'Here we go.' You look at the people around you, observing their body language.
The final light goes out.
Everyone begins to push and shove as they all try to fit into the hallway leading out to the course. Once outside, Todoroki makes a move, and not to run. The ground beneath you starts to freeze, only you jump up in time to avoid being frozen in place. You start running, noticing the rest of your classmates didn't fall for the trick, only those in the other classes were stuck. You glide easily over the ice, using your air quirk to hover a centimeter above the frozen ground.
You slow to a stop, now in the front line along with many of your classmates. Giant green robots block your path, you make your move, only Todoroki is one step ahead, he freezes the robots and continues on his trek.
'Shit, there's no way those are stable.'
Thinking quickly, you run under the giant metal legs, staying clear of their path.
As soon as you make it onto the other side, the robots start to slowly tumble to the ground. Your eyes shift quickly spotting a familiar spiky red haired boy directly beneath the green giant, "Kiri!!!"
Dust and shattered ice fly into the air as the giant macchine makes heavy contact with the ground.
'He should be fine as long as he used his quirk.' You tell yourself, holding your breath.
As if on cue, the manly redhead punches through the robot, taking a firm stance above it.
You offer him a quick smile and turn around, chasing after Todoroki.