Chapter Eleven

Mina skips triumphantly out of the ring, where you wait, about to enter. You smile wide and give her a hug, "Congrats Mina!"
She returns your smile, "Thanks! Good luck, girl! You got this!"
She wraps her arms around your back in a tight hug, and you do the same.
"I'll beat Tokoyami, and we'll be out there together in the next round." You say confidently.
She pushes back to look you in the eye, "I'll be waiting!"
Mina walks away and you look out towards the ring. Your smile fades into a stern, serious expression.
'Focus, focus, focus.' You think. 'Tokoyami has Dark Shadow, a perfect balance of offense and defense. I'm battling both him and the shadow bird. Lucky for me, I have three of my own little demons.'
"Let's move onto our next match! We have another battle between Class 1A! He's the dark samurai accompanied by Dark Shadow, Tokoyami Fumikage!" Taking a quick pause for the audience to cheer, he continues by stating your name and adding, "She's a master of elements and was admitted into the hero course through recommendation!" The two of you walk out and take your places on opposite sides of the arena.
"Let's not waste any time and get this show on the road! READYYY..." Present Mic's voice booms.
'Tokoyami will probably summon his quirk right away. And I have the perfect friend for Dark Shadow.'
"START!"

"Dark Shadow, go!" Tokoyami calls out, summoning the shadow bird just like you predicted.
You raise your arm out in front of you and make a biting motion with your hands as if they were a mouth. Suddenly Dark Shadow stops in his track, five feet away from you, and lets out a howl of pain.
Tokoyami's eyes widen.
"DID DARK SHADOW JUST GET BITTEN BY THIN AIR!?!" Present Mic screeches through the loudspeakers.
This time Aizawa's voice is heard throughout the stadium, "She used her air quirk to stop Dark Shadow."
The bird withers back to Tokoyami's side.
The air spirit's usual playful manner was slightly more aggressive, protective over you, as it takes its place at your side.
"Good little spirit." You say, praising the pouncing air around you.
Tokoyami mumbles something to the dark silhouette, Dark Shadow nodding in response.
You take a deep breath, sensing the shift in air around the shadow, 'He's getting ready to attack again. Dark Shadow is unstable with the wound at his middle.'
The figure leaps at you, 'It IS the festival, I can show off a little.'
With a small smile, you close your eyes.
"WHAT IS SHE DOING!?!" Present Mic squeals.
Focusing on the air movement surrounding you, you let the shadow bird get as close as possible, before quickly swiping an arm in front of you in a blocking motion.

In less than a second the silhouette is sent flying, intercepted by the air you manipulated to crash into it. The impact sends a gust of wind Tokoyami's way, knocking him down a few feet away from the out of bounds line.
'Hmm I didn't even plan that but...nice!' You think to yourself.
"Dark Shadow has taken yet another block, tackled by thin air, knocking Tokoyami close to out of bounds! HOW CRAZY IS THAT!?!" Present Mic narrates excitedly.
"As long as she has control of her air quirk, it's going to be tough for Dark Shadow to get a hit on her. Not to mention, she hasn't moved a single inch since the beginning of the match." Aizawa's monotone voice sounds through the loudspeaker.
The crowd is sent in an abundance of gasps and roars at the mention of that.
"OKAY QUEEN!" The familiar cheery voice ringing from the stands.
You laugh and take a second to look up at where your class was sitting, Mina and Sero waving proudly.
Denki and Kirishima are hugging and excitedly pumping their fists in the air, rooting for you.
You look for one more familiar face, only it was absent from the rows of chairs your class sat in. He was not watching you.
'So!?!' You yell at yourself in your mind. 'I don't need him to watch me.'
Still facing your friends, back turned to the battle at hand, Mina's face gives away Tokoyami's next move.
With a sigh you shoot your arms down and you're lifted up high above the ground, dodging Dark Shadow's attack. You take a quick moment to stop in front of where Present Mic and Aizawa sit watching and give them a little wave through the window. Your father shakes his head with a little laugh while Present Mic gives you an enthusiastic thumbs up.
You look back down at your opponents and see Tokoyami and Dark Shadow already looking up at you. He holds your gaze, a stern look on his face as he strategizes his next attack.
'His mind is probably FLOODING with thoughts right now.' You think to yourself with a little laugh, sending a wave of water crashing into him.
"Tokoyami is out of bounds! Let's hear it for our winner!" Midnight announces. The crowd cheers loudly, chanting your name and whistling. When you make it back down to the ground you walk over and shake hands with Tokoyami.
"You are a strong opponent." He says.
"As are you. Good match." You say nodding your head slightly.
"Likewise." He says, returning your gesture.