Chapter Ten

You look up at the dual haired boy in confusion, 'He's still on that?'
Blinking, you ask the boy, "Oh? And, why's that?"
Todoroki's eyebrows knit together, he looks down at his feet unsure of how to word it exactly, "When you touched my shoulder earlier...after the cavalry battle, it was almost like it took me back."
You raise your eyebrows, unsure of where this was going, with a nod, you say, "Alright. To what?"
Todoroki shifts his eyes from the floor, locking eyes with you, "At a pro hero event, almost nine years ago, there was this girl. She and I were the only kids there. My father took me to show me off to the other heroes, to brag about his creation. She was there because of her father too, only he took her because he didn't want to leave her at home...wanted to keep her safe with him. My father never allowed me to have friends, much less talk to kids my age. No one ever dared to come close to me. Everyone except her. She wasn't the least bit phased. She walked right up to me, introduced herself, and asked to play. I didn't speak. I was taught to ignore everyone, to distance myself from them. But she put her hand on my shoulder...she put her hand on my shoulder and told me I didn't have to be afraid. All I did was nod because I didn't know what she meant. To this day I still wonder if she meant it about my father. But I'm not afraid anymore."
You blink in utter shock, the memory of that night flashing through your mind. The itchy dress, the smiles from your hero family, the elegant outfits, the live music, the strange and quiet boy who stood against the wall alone, the feeling of his arm beneath your hand as you dragged him to the dessert table, the hesitation as he grabbed a small cake, the way your shoe slipped off as you ran to hide under an empty table, the confusion on his face after he laughed for the first time in a while, the tight white scarf dragging you two out from under the table, your father's raised eyebrow at you and the boy's frosting covered mouths...the way the boy's eyes widened as his father approached him. That was the last time your father ever attended a hero party, preferring to stay home with you.

You shake your head, "There's no wa-"
Todoroki interrupts you, "Tell me. That was you wasn't it? You're Aizawa's daughter."
You open your mouth to speak up but nothing comes out.
Todoroki looks at you with soft eyes, "I won't tell anyone. You don't have to worry about that. It actually makes a lot of sense now. The way you didn't hesitate in going after him the day of the USJ attack. But what I wanted to say was thank you. Thank you for being the first to approach me. For making me realize I was not just my father's creation. That I resent him and everything he ever meant. That I am not afraid of him. I will reject him completely by winning this without his damn quirk."
Your eyes begin to water and gloss over, "Todoroki I-"
This time he puts his hand on your shoulder, "This has been bothering me for so long, you have no idea."
You laugh a little, blinking away your tears, "I'm glad you finally figured it out."
He offers a small smile, "Me too."
You smile back and raise an eyebrow at him, "I swear, Shoto, if you speak one word about any of this to anyone, I will beat your ass."
Todoroki shakes his head, teasing you, "Yeah, cause that came so easily to you in training."
You poke him in the ribs, "Last time I checked, you weren't able to beat me either, Icy Hot."
The two of you walk out of the hallway and head over to meet back up with your class.
After a few seconds, Bakugou walks out of the dark walkway too, a frown plastered on his face.

Mina calls out your name with a big smile as soon as you and Todoroki walk into where your class was eating.  Denki, Kirishima, and Sero wave you over.
You turn to face Todoroki, "Wanna sit with us? I'm sure the others wouldn't mind."
Bakugou brushes past the two of you, bumping into Todoroki's shoulder.
You start to walk after him, angrily, but Todoroki puts an arm out to stop you.
"Save that anger for the next event. That's what I am doing, I suggest you do the same. Who knows, maybe we'll get to fight him." Todoroki says. He drops his arm and walks away, "See you in the next round."
"Yeah, see you." You say and walk over to your friends.
You take a seat in between Mina and Denki, "Hey guys."
"Hey, we got you lunch." Denki says pushing a tray over to you.
You smile and ruffle his hair, "Good to see you back to normal."
Kirishima bursts out laughing, "Dude, you were totally out of it!"
Sero drops his fork, chiming in, "You were all," He continues with his impression of short-circuit Denki.
The electric blonde blushes furiously, shoving a spoonful of food in his mouth aggressively.
You laugh a little, "But tell them who won, Denks."
The boy grins, proudfully, "We did."
Mina rolls her eyes playfully, "Yeah, yeah. We get it."
Kirishima puts a hand at his mouth secretively and whispers, "At least you two didn't have to deal with Mr. Angry Pants."
"I CAN HEAR YOU!" Bakugou says, sitting in a chair he pulled slightly away from the group.
"Well is he wrong?" Sero says, taking a sip from his drink.
"Who the hell was talking to you, loser?!" Bakugou says angrily.
Mina laughs, "Do you have to be so loud all the time?"
Bakugou just lets out a 'tch' and crosses his arms.