Chapter Twenty Four: Part Two

Your tread slows as you turn into the room where you and Midoriya are assigned to continue being monitored. Midoriya lifts his head as he notices your presence, his cloud of curls bouncing with the movement. A grin stretches across his lips and he waves at you with both cast-free arms. You laugh and wave back to your friend, his eyes completely betraying the jovial expression of his smile. Fabricating a facade to conceal one's true emotions is a technique you're very familiar with and one you recognize effortlessly.
'I'll get him back, Midoriya.'

You sigh into a smile, folding your arms across your chest and squinting your eyes as you examine him, "I don't know, the mummy look really suited you."
Midoriya laughs, the skin around his eyes wrinkling softly. A real laugh. You let out a breath you don't realize you have been holding in since you walked through the room's doors. Midoriya hops off his bed and meets you where you stand in the middle of the room.

"The nurses came in while you were gone. Apparently, they told my mom and your parent to send us some clothes in case they let us go tonight or tomorrow. The nurses brought us our bags, I put yours on your bed." Midoriya explains.

You walk over to the mattress and unzip the bag, revealing the contents inside; your phone sits on top of a fresh set of clothes. Midoriya strays over to the small table in the corner of the room near the large windows. Seeing as he's distracted you take the opportunity to reach into the soft silk of your pocket and pull out the tracking device, slipping it briskly into your bag.

Your freckled friend pulls out a chair and reads a small note left atop a moderate sized pink box, before opening the carton.
With a sweet smile, he says, "My mom sent us crepes. They're from my favorite bakery, you'll love them! Want to have them now or after dinner?"
A tender warmth envelops your heart in the same instant that it crumbles into a million pieces. Your gaze remains on the device in your bag, its hypnotic pull serving as a brutal reminder of your abducted friend.

You suck in a breath before zipping up the bag and directing your focus over to Midoriya, a feigned smile playing at your lips. Your eyelids flicker. Gulping, you swallow the knot of guilt forming in your throat as Midoriya's genuine eyes bore into your deceitful ones. You dig your nails into your palms, loathing just the thought of telling this boy a fabricated story.

"That's very kind of your mom, tell her I send my thanks if you get the chance to call her. But the crepes will have to wait. I ran into a nurse heading back over from Momo's and she told me to walk down to the lab when I was ready so that they can assure my quirk is stable."
Midoriya closes the lid and looks over at you, concern radiating from his eyes, "Oh, yeah. I really hope they can figure out what that was. You were completely drained after the incident. It seemed...dangerous."

You nod, adamant about remaining silent; you refuse to let another one of your deceptions taint his ears. The sound of soft hospital slippers brushing across the glossy floor followed by a gentle hand on your shoulder tortures you.
"Good luck. Everything will be okay, remember?"
You lift your hand and place it on his, "It will be soon."

Soon after, a nurse walks in to give Midoriya a handwritten note which Midoriya discloses is from Kota after reading the small name on the folded sheet of paper. He sits back down at the table and unfolds the message, his green eyes shifting from one side of the paper to the other. Too engulfed in the letter, Midoriya fails to notice you swing your backpack over your shoulder and walk into one of the three bathrooms the large room has to offer.

Shifting the lock on the handle, you secure the door shut and pull the silky blue fabric off of your body. You rummage through your bag and pull out loose black cargo shorts and an elastic black turtleneck top. After slipping them on agilely, you tuck the high neck of your shirt in before sliding your arms back into the hospital gown. Facing the small mirror above the sink, you adjust the robe to conceal the dark clothes underneath.