Chapter 6-6: Cursed Necklaces

The days at Hogwarts became a blur for Delaney. It was strange, not having Fred or even George there. But, she was able to find things that held her attention. She had Quidditch multiple times a week, Harry complaining that Malfoy was a Death Eater, and her own vision to decipher.

Delaney spent day and night trying to figure out whose voices she heard in her vision on the train. It drove her mad with the fact that they sounded so familiar, yet she couldn't figure it out. Hermione had begun to take notice of Delaney's lack of focus in their free time. Delaney reluctantly told Hermione about the strange vision that came to her in a dream. Hermione suggested that it may have been just a dream mistaken for a vision since it did happen while Delaney was asleep.

"Alright, what are we doing today? We haven't been to Hogsmeade together in ages," Delaney asked, looking at each of her friends as the cold air nipped their noses on the way to Hogsmeade.

"Well, that's because you would leave us for my brother every chance you got," Ron teased, a half-grin stretched across his face.

"Haha, very funny Ron. Now please, be serious," Delaney cut her eyes to him.

"Well, I suppose we could always hit the usuals, Honeydukes, The Three Broomsticks, and Zonko's for you," Hermione proposed, turning her head to face Delaney.

"Ah, but you see I no longer need to go to Zonko's. Not with Fred sending me any new products and some of my favorites," Delaney chuckled.

"You're telling me, Fred sends you products for free, yet when I want something they almost double the price? That's rich," Ron scoffed.

"Well, I didn't ask for him to send them. He just sends them," she laughed.

"I guess that's what happens when you're shagging one of the owners."

"Ronald please!" Hermione shouted. Harry let out a slight chuckle as Delaney playfully rolled her eyes.

"What? It's only the truth," Ron shrugged.

"Look, can we just go get a Butterbeer?" Delaney laughed.

"Yes, please. I'd like to get away from this subject," Harry admitted, holding the door open for the other three to walk into the noisy pub. Almost immediately the four noticed Professor Slughorn sitting at the bar, clearly a few drinks in already.

Harry and Ron found a table for the four of them as Hermione and Delaney grabbed Butterbeers for them. The four were enjoying the Butterbeers quite well together. Delaney felt as though it was like it was before she started dating Fred. At least that was until Ron saw Ginny and Dean Thomas snogging in a corner booth. This was followed by a few complaints before Delaney stuck up for Ginny and Hermione made a snide comment about Ron and her snogging. That comment seemed to shut him up quite quickly. That and the fact that Slughorn had walked over to them.

"Ah, Harry my boy. I've been meaning to ask you something," he began, clearly on his third or fourth Butterbeer by now. "I used to hold meetings with certain students. Usually, just things like dinners with students I could tell had bright futures. Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be interested in attending a few of these dinners?"

"Sure, I'd love to, sir," Harry nodded. Ron looked at Harry with a confused expression as well as Delaney and Hermione.

"Wonderful! Oh, you too Miss McKinnon, Miss Granger," Slughorn insisted, turning his attention to the two girls.

"Of course," Hermione nodded.

"I would be pleased to," Delaney agreed, a bit of confusion rung in her voice.

"Wonderful! I'll have my owl bring you the messages of when meetings will be," Slughorn gleamed before walking to the bar.

"What the bloody hell was that about?" Ron asked, a pinch of anger in his voice. Likely, because he was the only one out of the four that wasn't asked to be a part of the group.

"Dumbledore asked me to get close to Professor Slughorn. Apparently, we need an important memory from him, and I'm the only key to getting it," Harry shrugged.

"I felt bad to turn it down. Though I am quite curious as to what this will bring," Delaney chuckled.

"I'm just glad to be included as a muggle-born," Hermione shrugged.

"Now what am I going to do when you're off with Slughorn and the rest of the 'Slug Club'?" Ron scoffed.

"That's funny. I think that's going to be its new name," Delaney laughed.

"It's not funny. Why am I the only one not included?" he frowned.

"Ron, I'm sure Slughorn will invite you to the group at some point," Hermione offered sympathetically.

"Yeah, whatever," he grumbled, taking another sip of his Butterbeer.

The rest of their time in The Three Broomsticks was spent taking Ron's mind off of not being picked by Slughorn and sharing a few more Butterbeers. After leaving The Three Broomsticks, the four went to Honeydukes to get various types of candy. Delaney got a few Jelly Slugs and two Chocolate Frogs. Jelly Slugs had always been her second favorite candy since she was a little girl.

The walk back was going much like the walk to Hogsmeade, lighthearted, and funny. At least that was until they heard a deafening scream come from the path ahead.

"Katie!" A seventh year Gryffindor shouted.

Everyone's eyes were met in terror as Katie Bell ascended into the air, floating as though something was holding her up. Her scream pierced every nerve in Delaney's body. She felt helpless when she couldn't do anything to help her. Then, all of the sudden, Katie fell back down to the ground harshly. She laid on the ground unconscious as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Delaney approached her.

"Don't come any closer!" Hagrid shouted. "I'll take her back up to the castle. And don't touch that necklace unless you're holding it with the packaging!"

With this, Hermione carefully grabbed the necklace, braced in the paper it originally sat in. The four, along with Katie Bell's friend, made their way up to the castle with Hagrid, holding Katie carefully in his arms.

Delaney's nerves were amplified like never before as they waited outside of McGonagall's office. Once inside, they saw Snape and McGonagall carefully examining the necklace.

"It's been cursed, hasn't it?" Harry asked before anyone was able to say anything.

"Yes, it has. And a very dark one at that," McGonagall agreed, her voice weary.

"It was Malfoy," Harry said matter-of-factly.

"What?" Delaney asked, her head snapping quickly in Harry's direction. This was far fetched even for Harry to say.

"That is a very serious accusation, Potter," McGonagall warned, her gaze remained on Harry as well as Snape's.

"It was him. Professor, I swear," he said again.

"I highly doubt Malfoy was behind this. But," Snape paused. "I will be sure to speak to him nonetheless."

As Snape walked out of McGonagall's office, McGonagall turned her attention to all four of them rather than just Harry. "Why is it that when something bad happens it is always you four?"

"Believe me, Professor, I've been asking myself the same thing for six years," Ron answered. Delaney smiled wearily in response. Something felt off about the events today. Almost as though it was just the start of a very dark storm.