Chapter 6-2: Dinner at the Burrow

Over the next five days Delaney found herself being more busy than she had ever been at Hogwarts. Though she was only supposed to stay at Fred and George's flat for two nights, she ended up staying an additional three to help them with the shop. Business was booming for them. Crowds filled the shop from open to close each day. Fred and George were clearly exhausted but it was an exhaustion they would be happy to live with.

Just as Delaney had thought, by the time the shop closed she and Fred were too tired to do anything but sleep by each other's side.

Before either of the three realized, it was time to go to the Burrow for a special dinner. It was more of a way for Mrs. Weasley to check up on everyone that wasn't staying at her house but no one was going to let her know that they knew. But this dinner also meant that it was now time for Delaney to leave the flat and stay at the Burrow with the rest of the Weasleys and Hermione for the remainder of summer holiday. Though it was only two weeks and Delaney loved staying at the Burrow, she was a bit sad to have to leave the flat.

"It's about time for us to go. Are you ready?" asked Fred, walking back into his room where Delaney was packing her things again.

"I just finished," she sighed, placing the strap of her bag on her shoulder.

"Here, I'll take your bag," said Fred, grabbing the bag from her shoulder. "Mum said Lupin was going to bring your trunk tonight."

"Are you sure you still don't need any help?" asked Delaney, looking to him with a pleading look.

"What, do you not want to go to the Burrow? I thought you loved going there," he had a slight grin on his face.

"You know I do but it's not going to be the same now that you're here and not there," said Delaney, walking closer to him.

"You're all coming back to visit the shop next week. You'll get to see me then," he grinned. "Besides, you'll have Ginny and Hermione there with you too."

"Oh fine, I suppose I'll just have to sleep in your green jumper alone," she teased, slowly walking away from him.

"You know what that sweater does to me," he pulled her back in against his chest, their lips mere centimeters apart.

"Maybe, I do," she grinned, connecting their lips for only a second before pulling back. "We should get going. Wouldn't want to be late for dinner."

"God, McKinnon, you are impossible sometimes," Fred laughed to himself, his breathing a bit heavier.

Delaney laughed herself before taking a small handful of Floo Powder in her hand and saying her destination. In an instant she felt the familiar warmth of the Burrow and the welcoming smell of food cooking mixed with a bit of spiced apple, the typical scent of the Burrow.

"Fred?" asked George from the other room.

"Do I look like your twin brother mate?" Delaney laughed, slowly walking into the kitchen where everyone stood.

"Delaney!" Hermione and Ginny shouted excitedly, practically tackling her in a hug.

"I can't breathe," Delaney laughed, feeling the girls release her immediately brought a relaxed feeling of breathing.

"Oh Delaney dear, it's so good to see you again," Mrs. Weasley pulled her into a welcoming hug. "I do have to ask though, where is my other son?"

"He was right behind me, he should be in any second now," Delaney smiled. Sure enough, just two seconds later the fireplace roared to life with green flames and Fred emerged from the flames. "Now, Fred is here," Delaney looked to George.

"I swear you get more snarky each time I see you," George laughed.

"Only for you," she laughed.

"Sorry I'm a bit late. I wanted to check on the Pygmy Puffs one last time before coming over," said Fred, placing Delaney's bag on the couch as he walked from the living room.

"Are they alright?" asked Ginny. Ginny always seemed to have a soft spot for magical creatures, much like Fred except Fred liked to keep his a bit more secret.

"Yeah, they're doing great," Fred grinned.

"And what about the shop?" asked Lupin, walking through the front door with Tonks following behind him.

"Remus!" Delaney smiled, pulling him into a quick hug. "Oh and Tonks!" she hugged her after as well. "Oh, but you'll be happy to know that the shop is doing wonderful!"

"That's wonderful boys!" Mrs. Weasley smiled kindly.

"See, and you were mad at us when we first told you," Fred gloated.

"Just because I'm not mad now that your business is doing well does not mean I'm not still mad that you dropped out of school when you only had a mere few weeks left," Mrs. Weasley eyed her son, waving her wooden spoon at him.

"Right, I think it's time to eat. I'm starving," Fred sat down quickly. Though Fred loved to push his mother's buttons with George, he knew to stop when she started showing signs of real anger.

Dinner was wonderful, Mrs. Weasley made a roast with cooked carrots from the garden among other vegetables, mashed potatoes, and her own homemade rolls. Everyone ate happily, talking about whatever they felt like. Delaney would occasionally through a glance towards Lupin. He seemed to be doing great for the most part except when he would catch himself forming a grin as he looked to Tonks, then his expression would show a bit of pain for a moment. Delaney knew exactly what he was feeling, and she knew exactly what to say to him.

She waited for everyone to finished dinner and begin to settle in the living room around the fire before she pulled him off to the side.

"Remus, can I talk to you for a moment?" she asked quietly.

"I suppose," he nodded, slowly standing from the chair he had been sitting on and followed her outside. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah everything's fine with me," Delaney looked over to him as he sat on the steps next to her.

"Then what is it?" he asked, reading her expression for a moment. "It's about me, isn't it?"

"Remus, I'm worried about you," said Delaney, looking to the stars before looking back to him.

"I'm fine, honestly," said Lupin.

"But you're not. You're making yourself feel terrible because you have feelings that you think you shouldn't."

"Delaney, everything I'm feeling is wrong," he exhaled deeply.

"But it's not! You're trying to make yourself miserable. Remus why can't you see that it's okay to move on?"

"Because it's too soon!" he shouted, his expression made it clear this was an accident. "He just died two months ago."

"Remus, there is no such thing as too soon. Everyone is ready to move on at different times. Besides, as much as my relationship was rocky with my father I know for a fact that he would want you to be happy. Even though the two of you ended things long before he died, he would want you to be happy and I think you know that," she grabbed hold of his hand. "Do you see that," she pointed up to the sky with her open hand. "That's the brightest star in the night sky. And do you know the name of that star? It's Sirius. Remus, he's never going to be completely gone from you. He'll be there, watching over you. Please just give it a try. I can tell she cares for you."

Lupin stayed silent for a moment, his eyes glistened with fresh tears as he gazed at the star. "I don't know what I did to deserve a daughter like you. Especially with what I am."

"It's because of who you are, not what," she pulled him into a hug. She could feel him grow more relieved with her words.

"I'm going to try," Lupin whispered.

"Really?" a kind smile formed on her face.

"I think it's time," he nodded.

"That's all we can ask for," she smiled, resting her head on his shoulder as they continued to look up at the brightest star in the night sky.