Chapter 4-2: The Proper Goodbye

The weeks following Belgium were strange for Delaney. She had gotten to know her father over the short visits. Sirius' visits would only last a few short minutes to avoid suspicion from the Ministry. The last thing they needed was for Sirius to be taken back to Azkaban. Still, it all seemed so strange to Delaney. She had dreamed of meeting her father since she was a little girl, just to see if he lived up to the crazy stories Remus had told her. Now that it was happening, she didn't know how to feel.

"Delaney, it's time to go," Lupin called out from the bottom of the stairs. Delaney was supposed to leave for the Weasley's tomorrow morning, but Lupin had arranged one last outing before she left.

"I'm coming!" Delaney responded, walking down the stairs. "Remind me where we're going again?"

"You'll see when we get there," he said with a small smile. "Now where is your father? He's late. Well, I guess I should expect that by now. Ah, there he is."

Delaney looked out of the window to see a black dog, whom she recognized very well by now, walking towards the door. Lupin quickly opened the door to allow him in. He walked straight to the bathroom where Lupin handed him a pair of clothes to change into.

"Sorry I'm late Remus," Sirius said, stepping out of the bathroom in clothes now.

"That's alright, I expected that you would be. It is you after all," Lupin laughed. "Thankfully, that's a trait your daughter doesn't hold."

"Ah well, she gets that from her mother then," Sirius smiled at Delaney.

"It's time to take the portkey," Lupin said, walking to the living room where a small pocket watch sat on an end table. "And remember Sirius, as soon as we get there you'll need to go back to the dog."

"I know, I know," Sirius said with a sigh as the three grabbed hold of the portkey.

Delaney stuttered to regain her footing on the cobblestone road they landed on. She looked around her to find various houses and shops mingled with each other. Her breath hitched when she noticed a cemetery to her left.

"Where are we?" Delaney whispered to Lupin.

"Godric's Hollow," he said, looking around the small village-like town. He gently grabbed hold of Delaney's arm, leading her toward the cemetery. "Come this way."

The breath was stolen from Delaney's lungs once again as they stopped in front of two graves. The first had the names Lily and James Potter carved into the stone. The second one was engraved with the name Marlene McKinnon.

"It's mum and Harry's parents," Delaney whispered, feeling several emotions clawing at her throat.

"Yes, yes it is," Lupin said in a saddened tone. "Sirius the coast is clear, you can transform back now."

"I know why you brought Sirius but why did you bring me?" Delaney asked, looking up at Lupin while her eyes began to sting.

"Though you were just a baby when your mother died, you should still be given the chance to say a proper goodbye to her. After all, we were in hiding after her death to keep you safe from the Death Eaters," Lupin said, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"A fine woman your mother was. She always knew how to liven up a room," Sirius laughed half-heartedly, looking down at the small grave where she laid to rest. "I suppose Lily and James did as well, but never the way she could."

"So I've heard," Delaney said with a small smile, trying to imagine what her mum was like without allowing the tears she felt to fall down her cheeks.

"She would have given anything to watch you grow up," said Sirius. "That's where she and Lily are much the same. She wouldn't have thought twice about sacrificing herself for you, just as Lily did for Harry."