Chapter 4-20: The Question

"Delaney, wake up," Fred said in a sing-song voice.

"What are you doing? The sun has barely even risen." She threw the blanket over her head with a groan.

"Ah, but that just means that we can go for a walk around the castle before going to Hogsmeade and do it all before the real crowd gets there," he laughed.

"You know, you're going to make me go back to throwing clocks," she laughed.

"Oo don't tempt me with a good time," he winked. "Now come on, get up! I'll just keep annoying you until you get up."

"Alright fine I'm up, I'm up." She stood up from her bed with a yawn.

"Good. Now get dressed and meet me in the common room in ten minutes," he walked out quietly.

Delaney quickly got ready, throwing on a yellow long-sleeve shirt and a pair of jean trousers before making her way down to the common room to Fred who was sitting lazily on one of the chairs.

"Oh wow. That must be a new record," he smiled, pulling her into his arms.

"Oh yeah? What was my time?" she giggled, resting her chin on his chest to look up at him.

"Ten minutes. I was expecting twenty," he laughed.

"Oh I do not take that long to get ready," Delaney looked at Fred through narrowed eyes.

"That's debatable," he laughed, placing a quick kiss on her lips before leading them out of the common room.

"Fred, I thought you said we were getting breakfast before we left," Delaney said, confused as to why they were passing the Great Hall.

"We are. Just in a different place."

"What do you mean a different place?"

"Just trust me. George and I have been coming down here for years," he smiled as he held the door to the kitchen open for Delaney.

"What are we doing in the kitchens?" She entered the grand kitchen full of house elves.

"We're getting breakfast," he smiled.

"Fred Weasley is that you?" a small house elf asked, walking over to Fred and Delaney.

"Long time no see, Winky. What do you have for us today?" Fred looked down at the tiny elf with a grin.

"Anything you want sir," Winky said with a nod.

"Surprise us," he smiled as the tiny elf walked further into the kitchen. "Here, we can sit right here," he pointed to two stools against the wall.

"I never knew the kitchen was run by house elves," Delaney admitted, looking at Fred. "I feel bad. They never really get a break from working."

"George and I tried to see if they wanted our help with being freed. I mean they clean the entire castle, not just run the kitchen. But they said that they liked working. Winky," Fred paused, "the elf we were talking to earlier was given a job here this year after she was let go by the Crouch family at the World Cup."

"Is that- Is that Dobby?" Delaney pointed to the elf beside Winky.

"Ah yes, he started working here last year I believe," Fred looked from Dobby back to Delaney.

"I still feel bad for them. But I mean if that's what they want to do I can't be mad about it," Delaney said, looking at the hundreds of elves eagerly making breakfast for the students that would be waking soon.

"Believe me, George and I tried for a long time to help them but they wouldn't listen. Dobby and Winky are the only free elves that work here. But I guess Dobby likes it because he can be close to Harry and all of you." Fred looked around at all of the house elves.

"Here you go sir," Winky said as she handed Fred plates of food. "I put some fruit on there in case the girl with you wanted some with her breakfast."

"Thank you Winky," he smiled as the elf walked back to the other working house elves. "Let's see, she gave us some eggs, french toast, sausage, and you're fruit of course."

"We never get french toast up in the great hall," Delaney's tone became excited. She loved french toast.

"Well that's what happens when you make friends with the house elves," Fred laughed. "Now eat up so we can go to Hogsmeade."

The couple began to eat the special breakfast that was made just for them. Delaney thought it felt nice to be able to sit and have a meal with Fred without having to worry about anyone joining them. They finished eating just a few minutes later and it of course somehow ended with Fred throwing grapes at Delaney.

"So, what'd you think about breakfast," Fred asked as the two of them walked down to Hogsmeade with George.

"It was wonderful," she smiled.

"Did you take her to the kitchens? That's supposed to be our secret," George let out a slight chuckle.

"Oh don't act like you wouldn't take Angelina there if she gave you the chance," Fred laughed.

"Didn't I tell you? I'm taking a step back from trying to get Angelina to go out with me. I'm going to let her come to me," he said proudly.

"Looks like you're going to be waiting awhile," Delaney laughed.

"Okay, you have been hanging around my brother for too long," George said jokingly as Fred laughed.

"George, you have to admit that was funny," Fred again.

"The way she is, you'd think the two of you were made for each other," George grumbled. Delaney simply smiled at this. She wouldn't be naive and let herself completely believe George's words. She and Fred just started dating. But that didn't change how quickly her feelings for Fred had been growing in the past five months they'd been together. Fred seemed to become quite cheeky at George's words.

"Why don't we go to Zonko's first?" Fred asked.

"You act like that isn't the store we always go in first," Delaney laughed.

After going into a few other stores it seemed as though Delaney and Fred had lost George at some point.

"Hey, where'd George go?" Delaney asked as she sat in a booth with Fred at the Three Broomsticks.

"He said he'd meet up with us later but that was when we left Honeydukes. So who knows where he is." Fred handed her a Butterbeer as he took his seat across from her.

"More time for us then," Delaney smiled.

After many Butterbeers and hours of conversation, the pair decided to head back up to the castle.

Delaney looked up at Fred, "You were right. We've already had breakfast and a full day's worth of being at Hogsmeade and a big lot of people are just now going down there."

"See, it pays to listen to me sometimes," he laughed.

"Oh whatever," she laughed.

"Delaney, I've been meaning to ask you something," Fred stopped walking and looked at Delaney.

"What is it?" Delaney's nerves seemed to build at Fred's suddenly nervous state.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come to stay with me this summer? I mean we always have so much fun together and mum and dad already love you so I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

Delaney felt her nerves turn into happiness and excitement mixed together. A smile pulled on her lips, "I'll see what I can do."

"Really?" Fred's eyes lit up.

"Yeah, why not?" She smiled more before Fred leaned down to kiss her. Butterflies erupted in her stomach and warmth spread within her.