Chapter 3-1: The train ride

"This is the only one that's even close to empty," Hermione said as she pointed to the compartment with a sleeping man.

"Who is that?" asked Ron.

Delaney felt her hands grow clammy because she knew who it was but she swore she wouldn't say anything, so she stayed silent. That did not ease her nerves any less, however.

"Professor R.J. Lupin," Hermione said as she along with Delaney, Harry, and Ron sat down in the compartment.

"How does she know that?" Ron asked Delaney. Delaney shrugged, not knowing what else to do in the face of her withheld lie.

"It's on his trunk, genius," Hermione laughed.

"You know you should really start paying attention Ron," Delaney laughed, feeling slightly more at ease now that Hermione had diffused the tension unknowingly.

"Whatever," Ron scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"It's okay, Ron. We all have our moments," Delaney teased, earning herself a mocking face from Ron.

The four continued to talk and give occasional glances toward Lupin, who continued to sleep beside them. Each caught the other three up on what their summer entailed. Delaney had spent the summer traveling across the continent, seeing the beauty of the old muggle and wizarding worlds. She loved it all the same. She collected translated copies of her favorite book from each country she could find it in, adding them to her personal library at home. She only hoped she could continue that tradition for many years to come.

Hermione said she'd done something similar with her parents. Hermione loved traveling almost as much as Delaney, that, Delaney knew for certain. But she had yet to find someone that loved it just as much—the wonder that came from learning of the history and stories a destination may hold.

"Wait, let me get this straight. Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban so he could come after you?" Ron asked Harry sometime later after the conversation veered in a different direction. Ron failed to hide his worried tone. Delaney thought it would have been hard for her to hide hers just the same.

"They'll catch Black won't they? I mean everyone is looking for him," Hermione said in the same worried tone.

"Sure. Except no one's ever broken out of Azkaban before and he's a murderous, raging, lunatic," Ron added.

"He's right, you know. No one in the history of the wizarding world has managed to break out of Azkaban," Delaney said, looking at Hermione and then at Harry. Worry clouded her eyes.

Suddenly, the train came to a halt. Delaney had to plant her feet on the ground just to stop herself from flying forward into Ron or Hermione's lap.

"Why are we stopping?" Hermione asked, casting her gaze to the window. "We can't be there yet."

"What is going on?" Delaney asked as the train rocked. Worry started to fill her veins. Something had to be wrong. The train wouldn't stop if everything was fine.

"I don't know. Maybe we've broken down," said Harry, just before the lights began to cut off.

"Right, so that makes the lights turn off?" Delaney asked sarcastically, trying to mask her sarcasm as best she could.

Ron looked out of the window, his eyebrows knitting together, "Something is moving out there."

Ron's eyes widened, "I think...someone's coming aboard."

"What do you mean someone's coming aboard?" Delaney asked, just as nervous.

It began to grow cold on the train. A shiver ran through Delaney. Her breath clouded the previously warm air of the compartment. It felt as though happiness was being drained from the world.

"Bloody hell. What's happening?" asked Ron.

Suddenly, a dementor emerged into view of the children. Before any of them could act, or even snap back into focus, it entered the compartment and went after Harry. Delaney gave a light kick to Lupin that was subtle enough for no one to notice, but just enough to wake him. With a jump, Lupin's eyes opened. He jumped up wand at the ready. Lupin quickly fought off the dementor, but not before Harry fainted.

After several minutes of Hermione's panic and Delaney's worry, Harry finally awoke. Concern lined Delaney's voice, "Harry, are you alright?"

"Here, eat this. It will help. It's alright, it's chocolate," Lupin said, handing Harry a piece of chocolate.

"What was that thing?" Harry asked.

"It was a Dementor. They guard Azkaban," Delaney said as Lupin handed her a piece of chocolate. She welcomed the sweet taste of her favorite chocolate with a silent hum.

"They were searching the train for Sirius Black. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to have a quick word with the driver," Lupin said with a friendly grin, exiting the compartment without another word.

"Did any of you...you know, faint?" Harry asked, taking a bite of the chocolate.

"No...but I did feel weird though. Like I'd never be cheerful again." Ron answered. Delaney could see the shock and worry that Harry tried to mask on his face.

The rest of the train ride seemed to pass the four by quite quickly. Delaney and the others hadn't seen Lupin since he left to meet the train conductor. After the train came to a stop, the four were quick to walk off the train and make their way into one of the empty carriages.

"I hope Lupin is a good teacher and not like that git Lockhart," Ron said as the carriage taking the four up to the castle began to move.

"He's a great wizard and he is such a nice person, really," Delaney said looking at Ron.

"How do you know?" Harry asked, confusion marring his face.

"Oh...um, well, it's just what I've heard," Delaney said, hoping they would believe it. On the inside, she wanted to chastise herself, she let something slip.

"Nevermind how she knows. Let's just hope what she says is true," Hermione said.

After the short carriage ride up to the castle, Delaney led the group to the Gryffindor table like usual to wait for the first years to be sorted. They sat across from Ginny, Fred, and George. A group of the Weasley's Delaney found quite amusing even if she didn't find herself in the elder brother's company that much.

"Say, Fred, how many first years do you think Gryffindor will get this year?" George smiled.

"I'm feeling quite good about this year for Gryffindor, I say twenty-three," Fred said, tapping his chin as if to think before he gave his final answer.

"You know I was thinking the same thing. Except I'm going to have to go with nineteen." George said as he pointed his finger at Fred with each word.

"Fourteen," Delaney added somewhat out of nowhere.

"What?" Fred asked, turning his attention to Delaney.

"Well, you're taking bets on how many first years we'll get this year. I want in. I say fourteen." Delaney said, looking at Fred, then George, then Fred again.

Fred and George looked at each other then turned their attention back on her before they said in unison, "You're on."

Sometime later, and after many hungry growls from Delaney's stomach, the last first-year stepped up to the stool. The sorting hat sat for a second, pondering its answer before it shouted for the last time this year, "GRYFFINDOR!"

"Hah, that makes fourteen Gryffindors this year," Delaney smiled triumphantly. "So what do I get?"

"How'd you do that?" Fred asked.

"Do what?" Delaney asked, her brows pulling together in confusion.

"You guessed the number right on the dot. How'd you know?" George added.

"Just intuition I guess," Delaney smiled as she began eating the feast. A hum of satisfaction fell from her lips at the first taste of food. She turned to find Lupin smiling brightly in conversation with Professor McGonagall. A smile of her own pulled on Delaney's lips as she focused back on her friends. She was glad to be back at Hogwarts.