Chapter 5-9: The Calm Before The Storm

"I can't believe that woman," Delaney huffed in an angry tone. "Did you see what she made Harry do?"

"It's absolutely mad," Fred shook his head as the two ate breakfast together in the Great Hall.

"Something needs to be done," Delaney insisted.

"Like what?" Hermione asked next to her.

"I don't know," she paused. "But for starters, we can't go on with her teaching up 'hypothetical' magic. We need something real."

"This won't help the teaching part but George and I could try to sneak her one of our treats. We do have more than just the Puking Pastilles," Fred smirked. Before anyone could say anything else their attention was brought to Professor McGonagall and Umbridge having a rather loud conversation in the corridor.

"I'm sorry Professor but what exactly are you insinuating?" Umbridge asked in her annoyingly high-pitched voice.

"I am nearly requesting that when it comes to my students you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices," McGonagall insisted as more students began walking over to the two Professors.

"So silly of me but it sounds as if you're questioning my authority in my own classroom. Minerva." Umbridge took a step up to look down on McGonagall.

"Not at all Dolores. Merely your medieval methods." McGonagall matched her step.

"I am sorry dear but to question my practices is to question the Ministry and by extension the Minister himself. I am a tolerant woman but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty."

"Oh give me a break," Delaney whispered to Fred as she rolled her eyes. Umbridge was reaching at best with her insinuation.

McGonagall took a step down, "Disloyalty."

"Things at Hogwarts are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action," Umbridge looked at all of the students that had congregated around the conversation.

"This should be good," Fred whispered to Delaney.

The next few days carried on quite well; suspiciously well. It was clear that Umbridge was planning something, something big. Everyone knew that these few days were calm before the storm. But how bad the storm was going to be no one knew.

"What do you think it's going to be?" Ron asked at breakfast, piling his plate high.

"I don't know. Maybe she'll turn all of us into toads so we can look like her," Fred said as his eyes grew wide in sarcasm.

"I think it's going to be a lot more than that," Hermione muttered as she looked at her copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Neville, can I borrow that?" Delaney pointed to his unused copy.

"Go ahead," he nodded his head.

"Thanks." She picked up the copy to quickly examine it. Her eyes were met with sudden disbelief and unease as she read the front page title. She had to be dreaming. No, she had to be having a nightmare. That couldn't be.

MINISTER SEEKS EDUCATIONAL REFORM

Dolores Umbridge Appointed First Ever High Inquisitor

New Era Dawns At Hogwarts

"Oh no," she whispered to herself.

"What is it?" Fred asked.

She handed him the paper without another word. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the pit that grew in her stomach.